Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm still seeing a significant amount of mention here about PageRank, I thought it would be good to share this. PageRank belongs in the same storage locker where you'll find a group of nerds stuffed inside chanting, "Link exchange, reciprocal link, must have link exchange..."

Most of you have probably heard this term. Maybe you know what it means, maybe not, but just know that it was a Google idea, and since it was part of their "branding" for a while, they have been reluctant to kill it off opting to let it die a slow, agonizing death. The patient is wearing a DNR bracelet, which means Do Not Resuscitate.

So the next time someone starts spewing PR, show them this:

http://redfoxseo.com/2009/10/google-pagerank-is-the-end-almost-near/

One of the more interesting parts is the statement from Google themselves when they announced PR would no longer be part of the webmaster toolbar:

We’ve been telling people for a long time that they shouldn’t focus on PageRank so much; many site owners seem to think it’s the most important metric for them to track, which is simply not true. We removed it because we felt it was silly to tell people not to think about it, but then to show them the data, implying that they should look at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Death of Pagerank

You are totally correct pagerank has been dying for sometime know.

Yes at one point it was one of the main factors for getting you good results in Google. But unfortunately like everything people abused it and started purchasing links from other sites that have high pagerank.

This then started the large campaign where Google started penalising websites, blogs and directories that were selling links.

Now pagerank is in my view just a small indicater that i use just to see if my link building has improved the site a little. The most important aspect to me is my rankings alongside the traffic my website receives.

·
Registered
514 Posts
D*mn you Steve, if guys like me don't have things like PR and link exchanges to hang our hat on we are going to be forced to hire guys like you who actually know what they are doing to run our websites!

·
Registered
209 Posts
To me "PR" is still a good indicator to whether or not a site(s) is doing well and playing by the Google rules. Now, most of us know, that "PR" doesn't really effect your "SERP" rankings much. But still, having a higher "PR" will help your site become index more frequently.

Besides, when doing link exchange research on the site in question, it's easier to glance at the goofy google toolbar and check for redirects to see whether or not you want to exchange links with that site, and of course the quality of the content. Save's time not having to back-end research on the domain name, ip, wayback, etc..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts