Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off Id just like to say hi and thanks for all the great stuff I've read so far. Looking forward to even more...

Trying to find the "best" tool pouch and realized that I need your opinions. For example I've always had a metal hammer loop on the front side of my pouch. The hammer moves around(noisily), is easily taken out/put back w/out looking and doesn't really bounce against my leg or rub against my thigh...

It seems every guy with an Occidental set up doesn't use their leather loop and instead puts it on their back. Why? Does it rub your thigh or does the leather hold it too tight? Would you use a metal loop on your occidental? etc.

Thanks a lot. One step closer to designing the perfect pouch! And if I do that term will be trademarked.:001_tongue:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I use a 3-pocket leather pouch on my left side, a seperate tape measure pouch in front, and a seperate metal loop on the right. I pretty much hate strapping on too much gear! As for the hammer loop, I really never liked the leather ones. The metal ones are so much easier to use. Keeping it by itself on the left makes it easy to grab without fumbling. I don't like the ones mounted on the pouches, either.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I like how easy and indestructible the metal is. Don't know why Occidental always uses the leather. No one seems to use it, and I agree its nice to have the hammer in such an easy to grab spot.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
clink tap gingle clink bonk boing
That noise may be the only thing that keeps you from getting clocked with a hammer or a chunk of lumber because your workmate doesn't hear you walking behind him. :thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I used (when I wore a belt) my leather loop on my greenlee pouch and it worked just dandy except it was on my side and got banged against alot of stuff. The metal loop is easyer to "feel out" when you drop the handle in I'd be lying if I said I never went to drop my hammer in the loop and had it hit the ground.:whistling

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I used Oxys for years and ALWAYS used the leather loop. In fact, I eBayed the metal loop.

I hated the sound of the metal and I found it WAY easier to sheath my hammer like a sword right into the leather on the front. I guess the hammer handle banged my leg, but it never bothered me a bit.

Now I have a Diamond Back and the hammer loop is fabric and it's up high. Absolutely fantastic placement and design.

·
Registered
440 Posts
take some vet wrap or hockey tape and wrap around the metal loop if its too noisy for ya.. i personally dont like a hammer on the side because it seems to get in the way whenever you kneel down at least thats my case, i dont even like a cats paw on the side but have no where to put it :/

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
i personally dont like a hammer on the side because it seems to get in the way whenever you kneel down at least thats my case,
That was it!

Geeze its been a while since I wore mine.

I would have the long 18" stiletto in the side loop, crouch down and the handle would push straight against the ground. Then when I got up the hammer would tilt, and since it was above the mid point it would be more then half out of the loop hanging there. Once I moved around a bit the hammer would flip out and it pissed me of something fierce.:censored:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about a hammer sleeve like the ones from diamond back?

(cant post link yet, too new... its on the diamond back website...)

Anyone ever used this? What do you think? its easy access, quiet, wont bang your leg and wont swing out and break your back like some people were saying can happen if you fall...

·
Bird Killer
189 Posts
I don't use the loop because I like my hammer in the back. The noise doesn't bother me.

The loop will hold a pair of tin snips quite well, and I also use it to carry a water bottle sometimes.

·
Time Traveler
233 Posts
I like the metal loop, and I went from a diamond back to an Oxy. Diamond backs (for you Northwood) are GREAT but I wanted a smaller trimmers belt and Diamond backs are about twice as much (and worth it if it's on all day). But doing installs etc. I've relied on my Blokloader pants more and more with the Oxy tape and pencil belt hoop.

·
Mickey
105 Posts
I have a diamond back belt and really like it. Most comfortable belt I've ever had, didn't like the Oxy belt, always had to tug my pants up with it. :) Just ordered the hammer sleeve, don't have it yet so can't tell you if it's a good thing or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loop verses Ping

Loops are quiet , swing well with your natural rhythm , front worn often catches you in the leg if you have a long handled hammer, my hammer is a 23oz dalluge from back in the day, not from vaughn! Hammers are personal, some do not fit in Occidental's leather loop, Occidental's two in one back worn hammer holder is a nice quick draw for me and my hammer and pliers stay out of the way of finish work in tight spots, just a thought

·
Registered
89 Posts
never had a problem...

I started with hammer on the side, but I ended up turning my tool bags backwards and then my hammer swung more to the rear. A friend gave me a set of Makita tool bags, and the loop was on the back. It took a while to get used to it, but I did it. When those were almost wore out, I bought an Oxy 7 bag Framer, and it is the cat's meow.
Sometimes I use the leather holder in the front, but more often I use that loop for aviation snips when siding or installing flashing. If my hammer is in the front, it seems to give a different ballance to the whole set up. I just got used to it hanging in the back. It rarely rides up and out, though in the Makita holder, my hammer rode half way out much of the time, and could fall out if I was packing lumber and not paying attention to slide it back.:furious: IMHO, Oxy already makes the "perfect pouch," or however you worded that!:laughing: I love mine:w00t::w00t:

Graham

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The handle on my tibone doesnt fit in it.
Sometimes when i am doing something else and have a different hammer in my i am finding myself slapping the hammer in that front loop. But when i am framing i throw the tibone in the back and primarily use my hitachi hammer:clap:

·
Registered
917 Posts
stiletto hickory handle doesnt fit in the leather loop. I have a metal loop on the front of my old "Big Oxy" pouch that worked alright. Banged my knee all the time though.

Hammer in the metal loop on the back of the belt works best for me. Your never going to find the perfect set-up until you try different things and find what works best for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts