Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever own your domain name outright or do you always have to pay the $100 or so every three to five years?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Nope, you never own it, it is pretty much a rental thing, just like your phone number. You have as much 'ownership' of your phone number as you do a domain name.

This has been a central issue in a few lawsuits that the domain registras have been involved in, the fact that you don't actually own your domain name and are just leasing it.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Nope, you never own it, it is pretty much a rental thing, just like your phone number. You have as much 'ownership' of your phone number as you do a domain name.
Yep, it always belongs to them.
Dude you are overpaying if you pay a few hundred bucks every few years for a single domain name.
I pay between $6 and $10 per year per domain name with www.godaddy.com and have had no problems.
Yep, same here.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I let mine go this year, never did squat for me. The sites were on my trucks, advertising, everywhere. NOTHING! I put that up in '93., long time with no results.
Best, word of mouth. I'm booked out 3 yrs. on cabintry alone, I have a few spaces thru '07 if you want generic stuff.
The yacht biz is really picking up, I'm having a prob. figuring that one out. If you think that fuel is high at the pump, buy it at a marina.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Teetor as you've said before all your work is referral and your booked out so it's no loss but it saddens me when someone's website doesn't work for them. The common misconception is that "If you build it, they will come." This is not true.

Advertising on your trucks and cards is all fine and dandy, and a must IMO... but I would dare to say 90% of my hits come from search engines and getting top ranked for common keywords isn't the easiest thing to accomplish.

Teetor, I am ignorant on the subject of boats, but if fuel costs that much at the marina, maybe you just thought of a new business idea. Assumiing boats and cars use the same fule, with no special add mixtures, why not buy a fuel truck and gas up the boats yourself? Just a thought.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
If you think that fuel is high at the pump, buy it at a marina.
We usually pull the boat out on fishing trips and trailer it up to the nearest gas station. Marina prices are ?highway? robbery. Except there is one marina on Tablerock Lake that has a delicious young honey in a bikini that comes out, pumps the gas, washes the windows, and refills the cooler with ice. Well worth the price IMHO.

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
Grumpy said:
Teetor as you've said before all your work is referral and your booked out so it's no loss but it saddens me when someone's website doesn't work for them. The common misconception is that "If you build it, they will come." This is not true.

Advertising on your trucks and cards is all fine and dandy, and a must IMO... but I would dare to say 90% of my hits come from search engines and getting top ranked for common keywords isn't the easiest thing to accomplish.

Teetor, I am ignorant on the subject of boats, but if fuel costs that much at the marina, maybe you just thought of a new business idea. Assumiing boats and cars use the same fule, with no special add mixtures, why not buy a fuel truck and gas up the boats yourself? Just a thought.
Agreed,
Almost all of our new leads come via the website.
You have to build a good website and you have to promote it.
We average about 40 hits a day and about 20 leads a week from it.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok new question

What's a good price for hosting? We bought our domain name and now we are looking to get it hosted. Do you have shared hosting? what kind of traffic does it support? Do you reccomend any hosting companies?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts