Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

owner

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  JBM 
#1 ·
I am business owner most of my work is word of mouth, and I am pretty busy and I'm thinking about starting a web site mostly so my customers can go on to see recent jobs I have done
any suggestions on what is a good marketing website
thanks Johnny

#5 ·
LeeFowler said:
You don't need a website for what you want. You can easily use a Facebook page or Google+ but if you are willing to pay I would strongly suggest rethinking what you want from the web. You might be surprised at the quality work you can get from a good website.
Thanks! I have never been on facebook but may consider trying it
I just don't understand why some websites cost so much and why some are free

#6 ·
Jonbuild said:
Thanks! I have never been on facebook but may consider trying it I just don't understand why some websites cost so much and why some are free
I suppose it's the reason a dull hand saw cost one price and a great miter saw cost a bit more. Both tools sort of do the same job but one does it much more effectively. It's all a matter of finding the best value for your needs.

#9 ·
LeeFowler said:
I suppose it's the reason a dull hand saw cost one price and a great miter saw cost a bit more. Both tools sort of do the same job but one does it much more effectively. It's all a matter of finding the best value for your needs.
I reckon your right, I'm just not sure if a website is better than a dull hand saw! Laugh!!

#14 ·
I reckon your right, I'm just not sure if a website is better than a dull hand saw! Laugh!!
When you build it yourself you'll usually end up with a website. When you hire a pro your business will end up with an asset that will pay for itself many, many, times over. Speak to a couple Pro's and you'll get a good feel for who knows what they are talking about vs who doesn't.

If you don't need the business now, you might need it in a year. Don't wait a year to build your site.

#15 ·
any suggestions on what is a good marketing website
A web site that gives you opportunities you'd never see without one; a web site that converts visitors into leads; a web site that doesn't cause people to hit the back button looking for the next contractor.

And I second Carl's advice. Wait until you think you need the site and you'll play second fiddle to your more savvy competitors, if you even survive to play.

Business is cruel which is why most businesses either don't make it or never stop struggling.

#16 ·
cbscreative said:
A web site that gives you opportunities you'd never see without one; a web site that converts visitors into leads; a web site that doesn't cause people to hit the back button looking for the next contractor.

And I second Carl's advice. Wait until you think you need the site and you'll play second fiddle to your more savvy competitors, if you even survive to play.

Business is cruel which is why most businesses either don't make it or never stop struggling.
Thanks guys
I agree busness aint all gravy always lookin for that next big job
Defenetly want to kick some website tires this winter

#19 ·
Thanks guys
I agree busness aint all gravy always lookin for that next big job
Defenetly want to kick some website tires this MONTH
Fixed your post... :whistling

Since you have zero time on the web, you will want to get the ball rolling now. January and February, guys like Carl and Steve will be slammed with some work and not to mention all the calls they get the second week of March where someone needs a site for the spring remodeling push:laughing::laughing:

(In my experience) From the time you publish your new site, it will take 8-11 months to build popularity, rank etc... I already had a little time on the web so that helped.

#20 ·
Since you have zero time on the web, you will want to get the ball rolling now. January and February, guys like Carl and Steve will be slammed with some work and not to mention all the calls they get the second week of March where someone needs a site for the spring remodeling push:laughing::laughing:
Even the word slammed probably isn't strong enough! You've definitely been reading my mail, Todd. :laughing:

That advice is spot on at every level!!

#23 ·
Just a thought, do you have a background in making websites? How tech savy are you?

A website I highly recommend, and is very affordable is www.wix.com - it offers a variety of templates, and has an online editor that requires no special programming knowledge. It's user friendly, and intended to help showcase small businesses. A social media site would be helpful for you as well.

Do you have a smart phone? You can connect your smart phone to social media sites, so that when you take a photo on a jobsite you can just upload the photo direct to your social media: saving you time.

#25 ·
cbscreative said:
Yep, over the head. Apparently you're not familiar with the expression which means my 53rd birthday earlier this week contributes to my language being dated. When someone makes an insightfully true statement the expression, "You've been reading my mail," is similar to saying you're like a mind reader. In this case, your post was almost like you have some special insight into my business.
The recent passing of my 29th birthday would say your language is just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.