Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Atlanta Remodeling
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering how it works when a homeowner gets the permits to work on their house. Can he hire any hack to do the electrical/plumbing/HVAC, since he is getting the permits? I had a potential client mention he wanted to pull the permits. Normally I pull the building permit then let the trades get their own permits.

Not so sure I like the idea of letting them pull the permits.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
When we pull a permit out here all the trades come under one permit.

Who ever does the work it still has to pass inspection.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
It's a fluke in the system in this area that many HO's are privy to. Many of them want to say that they are "doing the work themselves" since that's legal and want to save all the contractor registration fees and bonding (which they have to pay for) in order to save money.

Unfortunately it's pretty common here too.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It completely depends on your location. Permits are a local issue, and they range from carefully-inspected, to just-a-tax. In San Francisco, when a homeowner pulls a permit, he stipulates either that he will do the work personally, with the help of tax- and insurance-legal paid employees, or the work will be done by a to-be-identified-later licensed contractor. In other words, random hacks aren't legal.

The City has some discretion about whether to grant homeowner permits here, and they do ask questions about electrical and plumbing permits. I was at the building department a few years ago and a homeowner came in to pull an electrical permit. The inspector was skeptical:
Inspector: "So, what will you use to wire your kitchen?"
Homeowner: "Wires."
Inspector: "Yes, well... What particular type of wire?"
Homeowner: "Electrical wires."
Inspector:"You need to have an electrician pull this permit."

So, it depends on where you are.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
What SFO said, depends upon where you are. Here, a HO can pull one, but for some trades, the person doing the work will still have to "qualify".
And what Griz said, if a permit is pulled, it still has to pass inspection.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with a homeowner pulling the permits, but as with jobs where the architect pulls the permits, I'd make sure that my contract was very clear about all the business details, including who was running the job, choosing and hiring subs, etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
That's what I'm worried about. I need to add that verbiage to my contract.

If homeowner applies for permits, homeowner sits/waits for inspections.
This is a completely legitimate issue to include in a contract or discuss ahead of time, regardless of who pulls the permit.

If we have to set a guy on the clock to wait through their window, they are paying for that. It's built into their quote, and I gladly give them a deduction if someone will be home to meet the inspectors. Many times someone is home all day anyway.

Rather than an actual clause, I include whatever we decide upon in the scope of work "special conditions" section.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The problem with a ho pulling a permit is the ho is the gc. Hopefully the ho ain't a cheap ho. I prefer relationships with professionals (inspectors) over relationships with ho's.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Working with a homeowner right now who is pulling the permits. It does not affect me in any way. She is very smart and on top of things too.

But that job is taking a very long time. She is now adding a laundry room on the second floor. We are waiting for plans from archy.

I'm kinda glad because I've been swamped.

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
I've been wondering how it works when a homeowner gets the permits to work on their house. Can he hire any hack to do the electrical/plumbing/HVAC, since he is getting the permits? I had a potential client mention he wanted to pull the permits. Normally I pull the building permit then let the trades get their own permits.

Not so sure I like the idea of letting them pull the permits.
When they get permit, they say they will be doing work themselves. Then they bring anyone they want to do the work.
This is happening allot around here. Than after the hacks they bring in, screw them, they go crying that they got screwed and legitimate contractors pay for all kinds of new regulations to prevent that from happening. Like now they coming out that every contractor has to wear badges.

I thought the whole idea of contractor registration act was that no permit should be issued to anyone without being a registered contractor with the state... It's all BS just to suck more money out of us and the HO will continue doing that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts