Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the consequences for a project being submitted to the city under
"Owner Builder" then bringing in a Licensed General ?
I believe the city will then require the GC to pay the difference in fee's as in taking over the project. We will be asking the city planning department soon.
It seems two different projects have been put on our table presently this way.
Anybody have experience with this type of situation ?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I think that would vary from location to location, city to city and state to state. The licensed general could always be considered a consultant or owners rep. No?

My best advice is to call the city and ask. Don't give project details or anything but ask the same question you just asked us.

If you are the GC, then make sure in your contract with the customer it states they are responsible to make up the difference in permit costs, and are responsible to pay any fees associated with the transfer of project control from them to you.

U

·
0 Posts
Still working on that registration thing.

Out here (CA) the cities we deal with don't differentiate a permit type until the actual permit is pulled. In other words, plan check submittal and plan check fees are not effected. Once it comes time to pull the permit, if it is a contractor he will need to meet the requirments such as worker comp, city license, contractors lic. etc. Some actually have different fee structures for owner builder permits, but I think they are actually higher.

We do all design and build and rarley build a project that we did not design. However we never include permit cost or permit related fees in our contracts because the cost vary depending on the city and the requirements for each project.

We have built projects where the permit was actually obtained by the owner and have never had a problem. One nice thing about that is that if final inspections are held up due to items that are the responsibility of the owner, we are off the hook!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts