Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What kind of duct is this. It seems to be some kind of owens corning insulation board. Is is dangerous for air to travel threw and breath? I have recently moved into a rental where this product is installed. I have ran the AC for almost 2 months. I have aquired severe breathing problems during this time. I finally went to hospital. They confirmed I have emphysema. Ive had no health issues in the past. Im 38. Fibreglass? ??

Wall Room Architecture Brick Floor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did smoke 6 yrs. And quit immediately. But I also researched the pros and cons of fibreglass ducts for hours. I now have knowledge of what fibreglass will do to the human body. My symptoms did not start until I moved into this house, 2 monthes ago. The problem started about 4 weeks after move in. When Im away from home I can breath better with little coughing. When Im home and the AC is on, I cough my lungs out, my nose locks up and cant breathe without an inhaler. Also this is day 1 without the AC running. Im inside with windows open and Im fine. My GF is also starting to experience symptoms.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I did smoke 6 yrs. And quit immediately. But I also researched the pros and cons of fibreglass ducts for hours. I now have knowledge of what fibreglass will do to the human body. My symptoms did not start until I moved into this house, 2 monthes ago. The problem started about 4 weeks after move in. When Im away from home I can breath better with little coughing. When Im home and the AC is on, I cough my lungs out, my nose locks up and cant breathe without an inhaler. Also this is day 1 without the AC running. Im inside with windows open and Im fine. My GF is also starting to experience symptoms.
Correlation is not causality, could be mold or something you are allergic to in the house.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deteriorating fibreglass admited into the air causes breathing and health problems. Yes mold is a possible issue also. The batted insulation in the attic does have some mold visible. Also the vent covers. These are all factors I have looked at. But research shows that fibreglass duct work is not safe. But that is a topic for another post...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Your breathing issues may or may not be from the fiberglass duct. Either way, you should move. As staying in a place that is affecting your health is not a smart thing to do.

That duct board is in millions of homes,, apartments and stores. So you have been exposed to it many times already in those places.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts