Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Tale from the Twilight Zone:

I'm visiting my parents this week for the Thanksgiving holiday. They ask me about an issue they are having with their overhead door opener.

Seems whenever there is a brief power failure (less than one second), the operator opens the door when power is restored. The power is out so briefly that they usually don't need to reset their electronic clocks, so it's a very short outage. However, the door opener, for some strange reason, opens the door.

Obviously, this is a security issue. To mitigate the problem, they climb up on a ladder and unplug the unit if they're going to be gone for any length of time. This, then, becomes a real hassle given their ages (hint: I remember JFK!), constantly open & close the door, climbing ladder and plugging and unplugging.......

The operator is a Overhead Door Legacy model # 496CD/B. Anyone else hear of this problem, and have any solution?

I plan on contacting Overhead Door Monday about this, but I thought I'd post it here to see if I can find a solution.

TIA
Ken

I'd call in a licensed electrician, those guys can fix anything. :party:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Does these doors have a lock on it that goes through the rail like when you go on vacation? They could just pull the lock in instead of unplugging it.

It's not just for vacation.... they unplug it every time they leave for any length of time... more than an hour.

If the power flickers just right, the door opens. If they lock it, it could cause damage to the operator trying to open a physically locked door.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Can you reproduce this anomoly?
How have you confirmed that it is a power fliker that causes it?
I have not been able to find any similar issues documented online.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
It's not just for vacation.... they unplug it every time they leave for any length of time... more than an hour.

If the power flickers just right, the door opens. If they lock it, it could cause damage to the operator trying to open a physically locked door.
It shouldnt cause any damage to the opener if its adjusted right, it should just shut off. Like when your kid is laying on the ground and someone runs it down on their head. Or like when I would leave my pedal tractors under the door.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It shouldnt cause any damage to the opener if its adjusted right, it should just shut off. Like when your kid is laying on the ground and someone runs it down on their head. Or like when I would leave my pedal tractors under the door.
I still have doubts about that. It's one thing to have the sensors detect something in the doorway and opening or reversing the door. But locking the door...... to me, that's like ramming your car into a wall to see if the air bags work. Physically locking the door with the intent to prevent the operator from accidently opening the door seems like a short-sighted solution to a long-term problem.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
I still have doubts about that. It's one thing to have the sensors detect something in the doorway and opening or reversing the door. But locking the door...... to me, that's like ramming your car into a wall to see if the air bags work. Physically locking the door with the intent to prevent the operator from accidently opening the door seems like a short-sighted solution to a long-term problem.
I meant to lock the door with the latch to keep them off the ladder until its fixed.

The door spring should be set where it takes about the same amount of amperage from the motor to lift it or close it. This same sensor is what shuts the motor off when the door closes and hits the floor so its nothing like a airbag unless your airbag goes off every time you start and shut off your car.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,915 Posts
But locking the door...... to me, that's like ramming your car into a wall to see if the air bags work.
Nah. My boy totaled his car a month or so ago, and the appraiser said just to stuff the air bags back in place costs $4,000. :eek:

Though you're right that latching the door is a somewhat lame solution, Michael is right too. I've installed several, and part of the process is tweaking the adjustments so that you can essentially get the door to reverse with not much more than a couple of fingers' worth of pressure. You can test that easily enough by just starting it up or down and grabbing it.

Lame, but still better than old folks ladder-dancing.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Lame, but still better than old folks ladder-dancing.
How the heck is throwing the latch until you get it fixed lame? Sounds like the perfect solution. Nobody climbs ladders and ends up with a broken back.

If you really think its so retarded they can pull the release cord, then the motor can run all it wants and never move the door. When they get home they can let the cord loose and hit the opener.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,915 Posts
How the heck is throwing the latch until you get it fixed lame?
No offense intended, but I understand 480's reluctance to embrace the solution.

Maybe "inelegant" would be a better term. Let's go with Leo's drop-out relay instead. :thumbsup::laughing:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
FWIW, I just went out and was able to lift the door a good ¼" and it would not open.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Official word from manufacturer

Well, I got an email from the manufacturer today.

They say it's the control board that's been fried. So it needs replaced.

Reactions: Tinstaafl

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,635 Posts
DO they offer the replacemnet board or is it cheaper just to put in another unit?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,915 Posts
DO they offer the replacemnet board or is it cheaper just to put in another unit?
By the sound of it, the board is available. As a DIY replacement, that'd be no contest. If you had to pay a "tech" to come out... the total would probably run you 2/3 the price of a new unit installed.

You choose.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts