Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have a new tile roof on my home, thanks to the great advise you all have given me. In replacing the rotted wood, they had to cut off the 8" to 10"
overhang in the front of the house. Now there is no protection from the rain
over the front door. A lot of homes in the Fort Lauderdale area have the
fabric awnings. Is that a practical solution, or should I consider a wooden roof
held up byposts? Any suggestions?
Kathy

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Kathy, I think that you may have a bad job. You don't cut off a rotten overhang without replacing it, especially in Ft. Laud. I lived there from 67 to 80 and the best rain that I remember was 16+ in. in 24 hrs. I think that it was Fredrick. The overhang helps to protect your home from erosion, very important when your house is built on sand.
In answer to your question, an awning may be the least expensive way to go as they fall under different codes than a structure which would be the wooden roof. Does your home have any historical value? If it does you may want to go for the added expense of a permanent structure.
Where are you located? I used to live behind Jordan Marsh (now Galleria), then Isle of Capri off of Las Olas, NE 13th st (same block as Sunrise Junior High) and later Townhouse Isles in Wilton Manors. I'm a Flying "L", went to BCC to get through the basics and spent a few years at Nova U. Also went through the best times on 'the strip'.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They did ask me about taking the overhang off, but I obviously did not ask
the correct questions. There are some homes that are built down here where
the wall is flush with the roof line.

I guess in the mean time I will go with the awning option.

Teetor: to answer your question I live in River Oaks, just south of the Citrus Isles, South of Davie Blvd off SW 9 ave.
My brother is an Flying L. And I definately remember the strip 'back in the day'
From the Parrot to the Elbow Room, Candy Store, OCean Mist........
by the way Crazy Greg (Button) died last year.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Kathy, Yes I heard about Greg when it happened, not too sad, if only I had his life. I could only play second fiddle.
You left out the 'end of the world' bar in Bimini, Greg owned that too. Like the strip but without the fuzz. You also neglected 'The Button' and the 'Sandbox'.
I have a good idea of where you are, I have a brother on W4th south of Davie Blvd and I used to date a woman off of Riverland Rd.
I'm suprised that you don't recognise the name as the Teetor boys were regulars in the Sun Sentinel as well as on the strip. We built the pirate ship and my personal vehicle was a zebra striped Buick wagon, well known everywhere.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
jmorgan, are you named after the car?
I'll locate the pics, scan and post. Interested in a 1/2 scale model of a pirate ship as well? I built one.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unregistered said:
I finally have a new tile roof on my home, thanks to the great advise you all have given me. In replacing the rotted wood, they had to cut off the 8" to 10"
overhang in the front of the house. Now there is no protection from the rain
over the front door. A lot of homes in the Fort Lauderdale area have the
fabric awnings. Is that a practical solution, or should I consider a wooden roof
held up byposts? Any suggestions?
Kathy
Before you people got off topic...Isn't what you're talking about called a "portico"? Depending on how big you need it...If it's just above the door(which isn't very big at all) That wouldn't be that expensive. I'm guessing$1500-$2000. Is there that much of a difference in price using an awning? Is it worth the strength difference?

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unregistered said:
Before you people got off topic...Isn't what you're talking about called a "portico"? Depending on how big you need it...If it's just above the door(which isn't very big at all) That wouldn't be that expensive. I'm guessing$1500-$2000. Is there that much of a difference in price using an awning? Is it worth the strength difference?

Would I contact a carpenter for this? If not who?

Kathy

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unregistered said:
Would I contact a carpenter for this? If not who?

Kathy
Yes, you would contact a carpenter or perhaps a roofing company(depending on your area. Make a few calls to find out who can do it for you. Then, contact a few. Get a few price quotes and it's also good to have backup of people that will do the work in case a contractor doesn't come back with a price or just doesn't show up at all. Will save you a lot of time and aggravation in the long run

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I tried to locate them today, I'll keep looking and post when I find them.
jmorgan said:
Teeter, post picture of the Buick!
Jim

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
jmorgan said:
Named for what car? I don't think so.
Jim
If you like old cars check out this site
http://www.gomog.com/
I skimmed through the photos and couldn't locate the J model (commonly reffered to as the J Morgan). Maybe you can find one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts