Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started my new business in Houston installing insulation on residential steel garage doors.

Being in Houston, the winters are not usually harsh and the biggest obstacle I have encountered are people thinking that they only need insulation if it gets very cold in the winter. Most people don't think about the fact that insulation also keeps the garage cooler in the summer. (Especially if your garage faces east/west into the rising/setting sun)

Any ideas on how to spread the word about my business and overcome some of these pre-conceived notions?

Thanks all,

Trey
GII

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,952 Posts
Probably more the cost than preconceived notions. You need insulation to keep the cool of the AC in as much as to keep the heat out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Building on Leo's post

Probably more the cost than preconceived notions. You need insulation to keep the cool of the AC in as much as to keep the heat out.
Good point Leo. Avoiding pain or getting some sort of valuable benefit are often motivating.

Keeping heat out does not really offer either. Personally, I would like to know things such as how much could I save on energy costs, which leads to a return on investment perspective, or maybe something about improved comfort, or less wear and tear on the cooling system?

Cheers,

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
You need the ad for the fat lady

"She'll keep you warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer"

This is something I use when talking about insulation and this could be inserted into an ad and used as a diagram for both a visual and confirmation when you are closing a sale.

"If you were to make a cardboard cut-out of a house and spread the cardboard on a table the attic accounts for onlt one-sixth of the total area (when not on a concrete slab). The question is why would you insulate only one-sixth of the area THAT NEEDS TO BE INSULATED".

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was looking at a foreclosed house yesterday. In the glory days it was $800K- only 4 years old. I got to the garage and it smelled like 50 gallons of dog pee. That was bad. Real bad. But I walked over to see the three garage doors- all over sized as the garage was huge. Non insulated doors- of all the crap in the house- and I do mean crap, the doors pissed me off the most......... They scream cheap..... Also insulated to me means- noise kill............ Quiet is a great reason for them.

Also being anal as I am- I'm new here, so you will see. The non insulated doors will show every dent made on the inside to the outside. I'm in MD but if I get the house- the doors go. Plus they just feel flimsy.
Good luck
Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the other benefits of the after-market garage door insulation is that it's much less costly than installing garage doors with built-in insulation. It still looks good and does a great job so the cost difference definately comes into consideration.

Trey
GII

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Note to get off topic too much. But you are right. Here in CA during the real estate boom when anyone and everyone went with ARM loans with zero down, the McMansions they were selling everywhere were these large cookie cutter types with large garages and no back yards.

After touring many of these houses and having to do some work on them, they were all built with the cheapest of products.

Everything was for show. Flashy, the latest trends. Nothing having to do with quality or long lasting.

Didn't mean to get off on a rant, but the cheap garage doors were the tip of the iceberg.

I was looking at a foreclosed house yesterday. In the glory days it was $800K- only 4 years old. I got to the garage and it smelled like 50 gallons of dog pee. That was bad. Real bad. But I walked over to see the three garage doors- all over sized as the garage was huge. Non insulated doors- of all the crap in the house- and I do mean crap, the doors pissed me off the most......... They scream cheap..... Also insulated to me means- noise kill............ Quiet is a great reason for them.

Also being anal as I am- I'm new here, so you will see. The non insulated doors will show every dent made on the inside to the outside. I'm in MD but if I get the house- the doors go. Plus they just feel flimsy.
Good luck
Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Right on cwatbay. You nailed it.
And the owners got in on the no interest loan and lived like farm animals and when it came time to pay up- they bailed to another fresh house. I agree 100% and that's all I see now in my area. Sad!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts