Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 10 wheel dump truck scaling in at the landfill infront of me today. 76480lbs I felt like a pus scaling in at 10480 with my dump trailer :laughing:

ForumRunner_20131014_225507.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here in Montana, each tandem dual set can weigh 34K with the steer axle 12k, for a combined 46k limit for a straight truck (no trailer). I saw a driver of a roll off truck with a consrtuction dumpster get fired for coming in weighing close to 80k on a straight truck. The fines are pretty stiff for getting caught that much over weight.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
This is a 10 wheel dump truck scaling in at the landfill infront of me today. 76480lbs I felt like a pus scaling in at 10480 with my dump trailer :laughing:
Just out of curiosity what is it cost to dump 10,000 lbs?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
$360. That was my total weight going in though. Truck, trailer, and trash.
Kool thanks, ive been looking into getting a dump trailer, and stop with the dumpsters, my dumpster company charges $90 a ton + trucking.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I just bought a new trailer a few months back. I would strongly strongly recommend: NO POWER DOWN. If for some reason it won't lift yard guys pull it out with equipment. But there is nothing to you can do if the battery dies on the lift... aside form charging it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just bought a new trailer a few months back. I would strongly strongly recommend: NO POWER DOWN. If for some reason it won't lift yard guys pull it out with equipment. But there is nothing to you can do if the battery dies on the lift... aside form charging it.
Put a toolbox on the trailer for a long set of jumper cables or carry them in your truck. Not that I've ever had to deal with a dead batttery at the dump...

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My truck charges the battery so I never have that problem, but occasionally I blow a fuse and don't realize it. I have power up and down and it will go down with a dead battery.

·
manipulator of wood
835 Posts
my dump just raised their rates from 98 a ton to 125 a ton. a bit steep for a single increase. but in the grand scheme of things its not that bad I guess. just pass the cost along.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,843 Posts
Mine at the land fill , a 15 mile one way trip, is 28.75 a ton. Last few loads sense added sides have maxed out the trailer. 6x10- little over 6000 of material.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Was paying $26-28 a ton for shingle debris all year until a couple weeks ago when they opened back up the shingle recycling facility, $22 a ton. Back in 09 most of the year paid $10 a ton for "clean" shingle loads.

Now that the dump has a scale been able to keep track of weights, before they charged by the yard. The heaviest with my wife's Excursion and dump trailer load is 26.5K, F250 is 27K and the dually is 28.6K.

Last year the guy at the weight station said he weighed a semi at 160K lbs. It was a Saturday run...

The other day after dumping the debris my dually and empty trailer weighed a little over 14K lbs. This is with two extension ladders, two gas air compressors, and guns, hoses, etc.

Have had a dead battery a couple times at the dump and either I have jumper cables run to one of the truck batteries or someone gives me a jump of their truck.

Speaking of landfills, this Summer a wet muddy landfill killed the auto tranny in the dually. The truck sat for 3 months until my mechanic was ready to put the tranny in. Now just got to find the time to put the DP Tuner Jody Tipton 5 way flip chip in it. A 99 stock 7.3 towing around 24K lbs on average means very little power, the chip should help a bit...

·
Registered
818 Posts
It will also stress that auto tranny even more...some people don't realize if you turn up the engine, you gotta do something for the tranny too, else it will go out even faster than before.

Reactions: coyote_20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts