Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an airless because it was cheap and I figured I'd use it at some point. A friend has a giant finished garage for his race car and wants to paint the bottom 4'. The floor is vinyl tile that was just put down. How far away from the wall will over spray or particles get? Do I have to cover everything in the garage? Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
I bought an airless because it was cheap and I figured I'd use it at some point. A friend has a giant finished garage for his race car and wants to paint the bottom 4'. The floor is vinyl tile that was just put down. How far away from the wall will over spray or particles get? Do I have to cover everything in the garage? Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
I would definitely cover the whole floor.
Just remember the smaller the tip, the less overspray you will have. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I would put down plastic or drops if you have them over the whole floor. Then mask and/or shield the perimeter. When you spray the bottom it will have a tendency to lift up and blow underneath any coverings. So if you mask it overlap the covering.

Any overspray on the vinyl floor should come up pretty easily if not left too long and the finish of the flooring is in good shape, usually just by wetting it, let it sit a minute and wipe off.

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
I know you want to use your sprayer, but I would probably just roll 4 inches. Mask the floor edge and run a clean tape line on the wall, then mask off that line above it with 8 inch paper. Easy.

If you want to use your sprayer, then the whole floor and walls need masked to be safe. I always mask with paper the floor edge, as paper has less tendency to lift than thin plastic. Then I prefer a wide paper if I'm going to be walking on it much. For a quick spray, I'd just tape my plastic under my paper edge and go.

Reactions: BFD

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
I know you want to use your sprayer, but I would probably just roll 4 inches. Mask the floor edge and run a clean tape line on the wall, then mask off that line above it with 8 inch paper. Easy.

If you want to use your sprayer, then the whole floor and walls need masked to be safe. I always mask with paper the floor edge, as paper has less tendency to lift than thin plastic. Then I prefer a wide paper if I'm going to be walking on it much. For a quick spray, I'd just tape my plastic under my paper edge and go.
Just realized it was 4 feet, not 4 inches. Can't zoom this stupid app. Mask and spray with a wide paper walkway. Plastic gets slick.

Reactions: BFD

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! The floor was just done and got two coats of polish and 4 coats of wax. I'll lay down a 40x60 tarp, tape the edges and put tarps over the lift and tool boxes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Haha no, I definitely wouldn't bother cleaning the sprayer for 4". I do have to do a 4" stripe about the 4' area, but I'm going to tape and roll that.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Just realized it was 4 feet, not 4 inches. Can't zoom this stupid app. Mask and spray with a wide paper walkway. Plastic gets slick.
Thanks guys! The floor was just done and got two coats of polish and 4 coats of wax. I'll lay down a 40x60 tarp, tape the edges and put tarps over the lift and tool boxes.
40x60 tarp? I assume you're talking about a plastic tarp which would probably be slicker than plastic sheeting and pricey. If you're just doing the perimeter and putting down 36" wide paper you won't be walking on the plastic much.

Since most of the garages I do don't have a finished floor I use plastic, I don't want my drops dirty. I'll use 12' masking if I have to mask it and use runners all around the perimeter. The plastic won't be slick but anything you put over your particular floor will slide.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts
Cover it unless you like scrubbing floors on your hands and knees.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
COVER EVERYTHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO PAINT. Trust me. Don't learn this lesson the hard way. COVER EVERYTHING.

Or roll it

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
40x60 tarp? I assume you're talking about a plastic tarp which would probably be slicker than plastic sheeting and pricey. If you're just doing the perimeter and putting down 36" wide paper you won't be walking on the plastic much.

Since most of the garages I do don't have a finished floor I use plastic, I don't want my drops dirty. I'll use 12' masking if I have to mask it and use runners all around the perimeter. The plastic won't be slick but anything you put over your particular floor will slide.
Standard heavy duty green/black tarps. I used to do a lot of roofing and have stacks of various sizes.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You needn't cover the entire floor. In fact you needn't have waxed it and you needn't have covered the floor more than 6 ft away from the wall. Any paint in the air further out will dry and land on the floor as paint dust, not wet paint.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
You needn't cover the entire floor. In fact you needn't have waxed it and you needn't have covered the floor more than 6 ft away from the wall. Any paint in the air further out will dry and land on the floor as paint dust, not wet paint.
And then you're cleaning paint dust off the floor (assuming none of it stuck) Much rather go shake out a tarp...

·
Registered
488 Posts
If your new to spraying cover the whole floor. Use a small tip while learning, it will give you better control, and hold the gun a little closer. These will both help cut down on overspray.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
Unless it is dry fall paint, I've had it stick to surfaces 20' away.

Make sure there are no cars in the area, the paint has a way of finding them.

Tom

·
Registered
305 Posts
The distance the wet paint travels depends on the pressure setting. If you use high pressure, it will bounce off the wall and create a fog of wet paint that settles on EVERYTHING. Use the minimum pressure to get a good, even spray. You should still cover the floor, but mainly as a precaution. At the right pressure, an airless sprayer actually does an amazingly good job of putting the paint exactly where you want it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts