Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the best way to clean up lite over spray on vinyl tile? The cheap stuff. It's fully dry but the dang painter didnt cover everything like he should have.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Latex? Hot water. The hotter the better. It won't make it disappear but it will help peal it up. Vinegar probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Not sure if this is the "best" way, but it has always worked for me.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have used vinegar on some. The last time I sprayed some built ins I had a little overspray on some ceramic tile. It was Sherwin Williams emerald paint, nothing would touch it except acetone took it right off the ceramic.

I don't think I would use acetone on vinyl though or I would atleast make sure it didn't melt it:laughing:

Also, those mr clean magic erasers seem to work pretty well for things like this.

Dave

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Hot water. Let it sit. So many things will get it up: krud kutter, hot water, mineral spirits, etc...

Dont forget your scrubby brush. If its textured vinyl, that sucks worse.

I slop mop with scalding hot water & a sponge mop then go over it again with a rag rinsing often.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Being that it is overspray, it probably won't come up as easy. If it was splattered on the tile it would be easier, but that sprayer really puts paint on excellent.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
The krud hutter graffitti remover works wonders. Never used it vinyl but it worked great on some five year old overspray on my windows. Let it dwell and then scrub. Repeat until its all gone.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've been dealing with overspray all week on the sliding doors, tile, and cabinets on this remodel. I was wanting to use something non toxic and found tea tree oil. So I tried it out and lo and behold, it worked great. You still need a little bit of elbow grease though. I would wipe it down afterwards with a weak vinegar wipe so the tile wont be slippery.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
A product called Goof Off comes in both a solvent and an alcohol based formula. The stronger solvent based Goof Off is stinky, but is semi gentle on most surfaces (not plastic, etc). The water based Goof Off is mostly alcohol and safe on almost all surfaces, but not as effective. What else they add to the alcohol based Goof Off product is beyond me. If you want, just use denatured alcohol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts