Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering "outsourcing" Quickbooks and am curious as to who else does it and your reasoning for it?

Pros, cons, etc.?

Right now, it's myself and a full-time helper, with seasonal/summer help. I feel like the actual task of entering in all credit card charges, checks, etc. into QuickBooks is taking too much time with me doing it myself. Not to mention it is taking time away from other aspects of the business such as marketing, estimating, networking, etc, etc.

Right now, all receipts are labeled and stored for monthly data entry. Credit card statements stored as well. Checking account comes with a monthly transaction history.

I'd like to take this all to someone (once a month?) and have them update QuickBooks. I will still write checks for credit/credit card payments, payroll, subs, etc. - just because right now I can't see delegating that much to someone right off the bat.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Anyone else hire out QB? Is it a subcontract position? W-2? Do they come to your office or do you drop off monthly receipts?

How long would it take for a professional "book-keeper" to enter and reconcile everything once a month? Or however often is recommended?

Are they paid hourly, or on contract? What can I expect to pay hourly?

Looking forward to the feedback.

·
Registered
543 Posts
same predicament

I am just about to outsource my account and update them monthly,the shoe box one a year method is getting a bit tired now.So il be watching this subject with interest,il let you know what quote i get from bookeepers.

john

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
RC beat me to it. A QB advisor is the best way to go. They usually do "side work" which is basically what you are looking for. Folow RC's link.

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
What you are looking for is bookkeeping service and I am sure you can find several local providers. I used to outsource the work of data entry to a family member (who also did the bookkeeping for another contracting company) I would mail a set of receipts etc. They organized it and put it in a spread sheet, emailed me the spread sheet that I could then upload to QB. Then sent me back all the organized receipts.

Now I use a scanner (neatco.com) that does the data entry for me and transfers the data in QB for me.

·
I'm on a boat!
3,178 Posts
We use a part time office assistant (employee) who comes to the office weekly and does our QB as well as other paperwork. She will reconcile our accounts, cut checks, enter payroll, etc. One benefit is not only does she do our QB, but she will also do confirmation calls, follow up calls, look up product information, create documents, etc. Things a QB advisor would not do. She will usually spend 3 hours a week on strictly QB items. A QB advisor may be able to do it quicker.

I've also got friends in the industry who drop their receipts off at a QB advisor's place and they take care of it all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I outsource and love it. Our company is small enough, so having a full time person doing the books is not necessary and I know when she does it, it's done correctly. She doesn't have access to our online banking, but she does with other clients (I know this, because I personally know the other clients and not that she said so). Since she does this all the time, she does it a lot faster than me. She isn't cheap, but she's a lot cheaper than if I were to have to do it and that should be a factor when thinking about that 50+ bucks an hour and two hours per week, versus my 8 hours and still not getting it right.
It is also nice that she is using a newer version of Quickbooks and has told me that it's got a lot more features that I would like in the newer version. NOt that I particularly like accounting, but I am glad to know that it will have things about it that will make my life easier.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I hate book work but it has become a lot easier with downloadable acounts straight into QB. Once you set it up the first time it is really easy. Just Export into QB then everything is in the right deduction catagory, deposits are in the right spot. Anything that doesn't fit goes into suspense and then I can send it to the right spot. There is only one or two thing in suspense a month. I don't think it's worth paying some one else at this point. I do it every 2 weeks and takes about 15mins or less. The thing I need to out source is bids. Takes me for ever and really do not like it even more so than book work.

Cole

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hate book work but it has become a lot easier with downloadable acounts straight into QB. Once you set it up the first time it is really easy. Just Export into QB then everything is in the right deduction catagory, deposits are in the right spot. Anything that doesn't fit goes into suspense and then I can send it to the right spot. There is only one or two thing in suspense a month. I don't think it's worth paying some one else at this point. I do it every 2 weeks and takes about 15mins or less. The thing I need to out source is bids. Takes me for ever and really do not like it even more so than book work.

Cole
Cole,
I keep hearing about these new programs you can purchase that take the guess work out of bidding. I don't know if you need something specific or for roofing. These I keep seeing are for roofing.
I can check around and see on my Facebook page, because I think that is where I came across it or either an email (which I may have deleted). Let me know.

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
Did you get the portable scanner or the desktop scanner and which would you recommend? (for the office)

I have the portable one and bought it before the desktop model was available.

If I was buying today, I would get the NeatDesk desktop model. You can stack all the receipts and it auto feeds for you. With the portable model you have to put one in at a time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am a small operation, me and two guys.
I try and enter my stuff into quick books at the end of everyday.
I also download statements to quickbooks, easy as pie.
Honestly if its a small company, how many transactions are you making in a day?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a small operation, me and two guys.
I try and enter my stuff into quick books at the end of everyday.
I also download statements to quickbooks, easy as pie.
Honestly if its a small company, how many transactions are you making in a day?

I don't think it's so much the number of transactions such as checks and deposits as it is a lot of other things. Taxes, credit card fees, deposits and discounts that the credit card companies take. Sales taxes even. Products, international invoices from suppliers and the exchange rates. I do hear that the new version will allow for exchange rate fluctuations. Even categorizing is a bit of a pain. I am NOT an accountant and numbers are not my thing, so having that extra security knowing that it's done right is worth it as well.
Arguments for both sides :)

·
Business Consulting
268 Posts
I can help you set it up, learn it and do it yourself OR I can do it for you. I've helped many contractors on this site, so far, they've all been happy and willing to refer me.

Yes, starting with QB 2009 Premier multi currency features are a part of the program

1,183 Posts
I learned a long time ago to focus on what I do best and let other people do what they do best.

I cannot tell you how many leads and how much work I have received from my accountant, bookkeeper, my t-shirt guy, my small shop mechanic etc....

Even being a one man shop where is your time better spent? Swinging that brush or selling that job... Nothing wrong with a bookkeeping expense at the end of year when filing your taxes shows the G-Men you’re honest. Just my humble opinion but like my books in order.

·
Onarooftop
44 Posts
Online Quicbooks

Rarely ever have to see her. Mail everything to the bookkeeper. I can check every single report I want at any time.
I can take over and boot her to the curb at any time, and the books don't miss a beat.
If I am tight on money or just am in the mood to enter a months info, and to cut costs.

I think it is the perfect scenario for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts