Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
As far as the OP's picture,I can see his concern since the quality of that framing seems sub-par.Looks like they framed up the gable studs long,and hacked them off with a sawzall.
I'd also like to see how the dormer wall is supported too,since it looks like its sitting on a 2x8 flat over a single rafter.
It is very typical for the SOB framers around here. A number of questionable practices will likely be covered up before the framing inspection. Pretty sad for a "garden" home that will sell for over $400k.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I've never actually seen a gable truss like this, but I guess they are an option. View attachment 142450
That's all we ever used. Makes the whole thing easier. You need the framing on the gable end wall to nail sheathing to anyway, just put it in the GE truss.

Oftentimes the roof would have steps so it would be a partial GE truss like the one shown and the other part a webbed truss.

Really, I don't know why anyone would use anything else. It's much cheaper to have it built in the truss yard than on the job site. Then, you have lookouts every 24", easy to frame, easy to install.

The framing is done on the ground, soffit installed (fascia also if you want) then the whole barge is lifted into place and lookouts nailed into the adjacent standard truss.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts