Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Todays Phila. Inquirer has an article on pg.2 about how the gov't has awarded (no bid) contract to OH roofing co. to put blue tarps over Katrina damaged roofs for $10 million, average per roof is $2,480, average install time is 2hrs., and the gov't supply's the tarp! Owner of the roofing company admits what they are paid, he could shingle the roof. Another roofing company from Texas is getting $2980- $3,500 per roof and admits he would normally only charge $300 to tarp a roof! So I believe W&A posted on the "help wanted" forum a few days ago that he is paying laborers $9hr. Not hard to do the math: 4 man crew, 2hrs per [email protected] $9hr. $72 in direct labor cost, give them 100% markup for insurance, etc. so $144 cost per roof and you get paid $2500. First question I have is this: Why are my tax dollars going to fix these roofs and not the persons homeowners insurance? Am I that outraged that I am missing something here?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Thats why we need normal,everyday, avg joes in office. People who know whats going on. To hell with these people who spent their whole life lieing, asskissing, and backstabbing to get where they are. That is absolutley ridiculous. And know a different govt agency will spend more of our money to do a "inquiry" as to why this happened. I have really had it up to here( :() with the govt and all of its bull********************. I think im going to move to North Queensland Australia and just live a simple life. At least I would like to.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
TimNJ said:
Todays Phila. Inquirer has an article on pg.2 about how the gov't has awarded (no bid) contract to OH roofing co. to put blue tarps over Katrina damaged roofs for $10 million, average per roof is $2,480, average install time is 2hrs., and the gov't supply's the tarp! Owner of the roofing company admits what they are paid, he could shingle the roof. Another roofing company from Texas is getting $2980- $3,500 per roof and admits he would normally only charge $300 to tarp a roof! So I believe W&A posted on the "help wanted" forum a few days ago that he is paying laborers $9hr. Not hard to do the math: 4 man crew, 2hrs per [email protected] $9hr. $72 in direct labor cost, give them 100% markup for insurance, etc. so $144 cost per roof and you get paid $2500. First question I have is this: Why are my tax dollars going to fix these roofs and not the persons homeowners insurance? Am I that outraged that I am missing something here?
Tim, - - I know 'family' of the very ('owner') you speak of, - - they say he's laughing all the way to the bank, - - and already bragging that he'll be retiring after this 'gig'!! He's taking some nephews (young, inexperienced, low-paid) down there with him.

Even his family members, - - who of course wish him the best, - - are still somewhat infuriated over the whole 'premise'.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glasshousebltr said:
Yea!.....anyone know how to get on that gravy train.:cheesygri

Bob
"It's not who you know...it's who you b***" Quote from the article: "Contractors watching from the sidelines (I read that:local small business contractors from the area) said they would be happy to do the work for a fraction of what the government was paying."
Interesting info I read somewhere else: The previous FEMA director quit so he could start his own disaster consulting business. He was awarded $50million contract for Katrina. One of Bush's campaign finance guys awarded $25 million contract. No bid contracts, but Davis-Bacon is cancelled so they can get workers to work for peanuts and keep more of the "awarded" money for themselves. No wonder this country is bankrupt.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Damn, does he know ******************** Cheney or something? Ole ******************** is fond of handing out no bid contracts. $10 million isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the no bid contract he gave to Halliburton to handle the oil fields in Iraq for $7 BILLION dollars. That deal had absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that ole ******************** was CEO of the company before he was VP of the US though.....nope, nothing. I doubt the $365,000/year he was receiving from Halliburton for "deferred compensation" had anything to do with it either.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I believe the difference between the 'tarping-of-roofs' deal and the 'handling-of-the-oil-fields' contract, - - is that there was no 'option' for other bidders on the 'tarping', - - whereas on the 'oil-fields' there was, - - it's just that no other company was capable of handling that big of a job, - - it was 'OPEN' for bidding, - - it's just that no one else bid. Big difference between 'no-other-bid-allowed' and 'no-other-bid-avowed'!!

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
AA, - - let's try to look at this objectively, - - let's say your painting company got called in to 'open-bid' on a big job, - - and you bid say, $750,000, - - a month later you not only get 'awarded' the bid, - - you find out no one else even bid on the job, you were the only one.

Would you feel any 'guilt'??

I'll wager to say you would 'proceed', - - rather than 'concede'!! ;)

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Cole_21 said:
Hey now, guys.

I think my price was cheap for tarping the roofs...
Sure, no problem, - - and at that rate, - - you're probly' only charging $30,000/roof to shingle, - - and Jeez, - - that of course doesn't include the decking!! :cheesygri

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Tom R said:
Sure, no problem, - - and at that rate, - - you're probly' only charging $30,000/roof to shingle, - - and Jeez, - - that of course doesn't include the decking!! :cheesygri

Tom, replacing decking is another $20k on a 1500sf house. :cheesygri :cheesygri

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
No Bidding By Outside Contractors On Halliburton Contract!

Let's get the truth out........Full story: Truthout.org

Waxman's interest in Halliburton was ignited by a routine Corps of Engineers announcement in March reporting that the company had been awarded a no-bid contract, with a $7 billion limit, for putting out fires at Iraqi oil wells. Corps spokesmen justified the lack of competition on the grounds that the operation was part of a classified war plan and the Army did not have time to secure competitive bids for the work.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
AAPaint said:
Let's get the truth out........Full story: Truthout.org
Went to the bottom of the site first, - - and sure-'nuff' there it was, - - the 'donation' link, - - hmm, - - how objective.

Truth is, - - when this same organization was confronted with the fact that it was 'open-bid', but no one else 'sub-mitted', - - they claimed they didn't lie as there was still only one bid.

Try to get your information from a variety of places, - - not just 'left-wing' fanatical websites.

Shall I quote 'Ann Coulter' for any future discrepancies??

P.S. Do also NOTE that in the very first line, it specifies "the company FORMERLY headed by Vice President Cheney" :rolleyes:

Propoganda works every time in a vaccuum.

With some luck, - - maybe your ears will 'pop'!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Here's some 'PERSPECTIVE' (for those that 'strive' to achieve any).

DEMOCRATS are DEMANDING Bush 'fix' the problem, - - you know, - - the 'pre-arranged' hurricane, - - the 'bombing' of the levies, - - the 'racism', - - the New Orleans 'poverty' (which according to LIBERALS, just started with this administration in the year 2000), - - etc., etc.

DEMOCRATIC Senator MARY LANDRAU (?) is DEMANDING $250,000,000,000 (that's BILLION) for 'New Orleans' residents alone, - - doing the math (half a million residents) means that will effectively give every man, woman, and child in New Orleans a 'WHOPPING' $500,000 apiece, - - yes, you heard right, - - a half-a-million dollars (average) for every man, woman, and child in New Orleans.

It's a (liberal definition of a) 'win-win' for DEMOCRATS, - - if Bush 'awards' it, the BUSH ADMINISTRATION is throwing away our money, - - if Bush doesn't 'award' it, - - he's a 'racist' and doesn't care about African-Americans or the poor.

Are any of you DEMOCRATS upset about THIS??

I didn't think so!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tom R said:
Here's some 'PERSPECTIVE' (for those that 'strive' to achieve any).

DEMOCRATS are DEMANDING Bush 'fix' the problem, - - you know, - - the 'pre-arranged' hurricane, - - the 'bombing' of the levies, - - the 'racism', - - the New Orleans 'poverty' (which according to LIBERALS, just started with this administration in the year 2000), - - etc., etc.

DEMOCRATIC Senator MARY LANDRAU (?) is DEMANDING $250,000,000,000 (that's BILLION) for 'New Orleans' residents alone, - - doing the math (half a million residents) means that will effectively give every man, woman, and child in New Orleans a 'WHOPPING' $500,000 apiece, - - yes, you heard right, - - a half-a-million dollars (average) for every man, woman, and child in New Orleans.

It's a (liberal definition of a) 'win-win' for DEMOCRATS, - - if Bush 'awards' it, the BUSH ADMINISTRATION is throwing away our money, - - if Bush doesn't 'award' it, - - he's a 'racist' and doesn't care about African-Americans or the poor.

Are any of you DEMOCRATS upset about THIS??

I didn't think so!! :rolleyes:

I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a left/right thing. Still no answer to my first question: Why is the government paying to fix the houses? I pay a good chunk every year for homeowners insurance and I would expect them to replace my roof. You can bet the insurance companies that are paying for any repairs aren't paying out $3000 for tarp jobs! Once this is settling down and the insurance companies have found excuses why they don't have to pay claims out they will go to the gov't and ask for a bail out and then hit the entire nation with huge premium increases.
Tom, since the people you know have no problem taking the gov't money and are laughing all the way to the bank, then why shouldn't the residents who went through all this do the same?

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
TimNJ said:
I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a left/right thing. Still no answer to my first question: Why is the government paying to fix the houses? I pay a good chunk every year for homeowners insurance and I would expect them to replace my roof. You can bet the insurance companies that are paying for any repairs aren't paying out $3000 for tarp jobs! Once this is settling down and the insurance companies have found excuses why they don't have to pay claims out they will go to the gov't and ask for a bail out and then hit the entire nation with huge premium increases.
Tom, since the people you know have no problem taking the gov't money and are laughing all the way to the bank, then why shouldn't the residents who went through all this do the same?

It's because their all HUD supplied.
No I don't really know way. :cheesygri

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
TimNJ said:
Tim,

Just to clarify, - - I know some cousins and nephews from the (owner's) wife's side, - - and yes, you're right, - - no reason at all the 'residents' shouldn't take the money and run, - - they'd be stupid not to. Same with the owner of the roofing company, - - that's exactly the point I am making.

The 'WRONG' is incurred with who is doling out these 'exorbitant' amounts of money when as you stated, plenty of companies would have been willing to do it for far less.

As far as left/right, - - seems to me a little inevitable, - - I've heard nothing but Bush-Bashing since before Katrina hit the shore, - - nobody minds that, - - now to stick up for him and point the finger at a 'genuine, real-life' $250,000,000,000 (again, that's BILLION) BOONDOGGLE, - - all of a sudden nobody wants to talk left/right anymore??

How about this, - - divide your TEN-MILLION DOLLAR 'outrage' into my TWO-HUNDRED-AND-FIFTY-BILLION DOLLAR 'outrage', - - and you'll come up with how many times more 'outraged' I am than you. Simple math, right??

As for as to why the 'Government' is paying, - - didn't you know the split second the Democrats brought out the 'race' card, - - you needed to 'pin' your pockets shut?? Not that it would have helped any.

No as much fun for all these 'half-wits' to 'Bush-Bash' anymore when it comes right out of their ol' pocket, huh??

Get your 'pacemaker' ready, - - I doubt if these Democrats are done yet!! ;)

P.S. And don't worry, - - you can 'trust' (Democrat) Ray Nagin to dole out that $250 'triple-extra-large' of your hard-earned tax money FAIRLY!! :rolleyes:

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Tom R said:
Tim,

Just to clarify, - - I know some cousins and nephews from the (owner's) wife's side, - - and yes, you're right, - - no reason at all the 'residents' shouldn't take the money and run, - - they'd be stupid not to. Same with the owner of the roofing company, - - that's exactly the point I am making.

The 'WRONG' is incurred with who is doling out these 'exorbitant' amounts of money when as you stated, plenty of companies would have been willing to do it for far less.

As far as left/right, - - seems to me a little inevitable, - - I've heard nothing but Bush-Bashing since before Katrina hit the shore, - - nobody minds that, - - now to stick up for him and point the finger at a 'genuine, real-life' $250,000,000,000 (again, that's BILLION) BOONDOGGLE, - - all of a sudden nobody wants to talk left/right anymore??

How about this, - - divide your TEN-MILLION DOLLAR 'outrage' into my TWO-HUNDRED-AND-FIFTY-BILLION DOLLAR 'outrage', - - and you'll come up with how many times more 'outraged' I am than you. Simple math, right??

As for as to why the 'Government' is paying, - - didn't you know the split second the Democrats brought out the 'race' card, - - you needed to 'pin' your pockets shut?? Not that it would have helped any.

No as much fun for all these 'half-wits' to 'Bush-Bash' anymore when it comes right out of their ol' pocket, huh??

Get your 'pacemaker' ready, - - I doubt if these Democrats are done yet!! ;)

P.S. And don't worry, - - you can 'trust' (Democrat) Ray Nagin to dole out that $250 'triple-extra-large' of your hard-earned tax money FAIRLY!! :rolleyes:
LOL

So if I understand this correctly your saying poor old GW is just an innocent bystander in all this? Give me a break.

You can't put blame squarely down party lines in either of these situations. There was a major breakdown on the federal, state and local levels.

Regardless of party lines this country is run by idiots... GW and Nagin included.

The government, democrat and republican, tries it's hardest to show us how different we are, how divided we are as a people. All of it is to start and maintain arguments like the ones we occasionally have on these boards about politics and ideology. To keep us from realizing they are ALL equally crooks, who pander to special interest bribes and keep this country running smoothly for the ruling class.

We have been letting them rape our democracy since Roosevelt.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.