Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Outlets in countertop

67K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Remodelor 
#1 ·
Anyone ever set an outlet into the surface of a kitchen countertop? I guess it would have to have some kind of cover in order to be code compliant in addition to being GFI protected, thanks GMOD.

#2 ·
Flush

Sorry

(5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be located above the countertop, but not more than 18 inches from the countertop surface. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up position in the work surfaces or countertops and they must not be located on the sides of cabinets.

I would never put them in anyhow even if someone asked me too. Things always get spilled on countertops. It would just be trouble in the long run.

#3 ·
You have to use a pop up receptacles in counter tops like on islands, etc.

I saw a really nice new one in one of my trade magazine the other day, much better looking and a lower profile than most of them I have used or seen in the past. I'll have to find where I saw it and post a link.

#7 ·
cabinet

An inspector told me a while ago. It's what you call the area that's makes the difference. One cabinet is above the counter and one has a counter on top of it. Or maybe since it's called an island it's not really a cabinet even though it really is. Sometimes it can get confusing. I just passed a big job where I was wondering how they would enforce the afci rule. A 26 room frat house with 26 rooms with a bath and micro but not permanant kitchen facilities. It was classified an R2 which puts it in same category as motels/hotels/nursing homes/ etc... hence we didnt need afci's in the bedrooms in that instance since they were not considered dwelling units.

#20 ·
Very nice, Gene.

To answer the OP's question, a receptacle is not permitted to be installed flat into the counter in a dwelling, but this install is permitted in a non-dwelling setting. Go figure.

#26 ·
It really doesn't matter what I think, what you think, what the HO thinks, what the builder thinks, what the paper boy thinks, what the neighbor thinks............

What matters is: What the AHJ thinks. If the AHJ says they won't fly, that's all that matters.

#27 ·
Side Note: Saw an outlet installed in a cabinet door the other day. I wouldn't have known it wouldn't fly if it were AC in a metal box, but it was romex run into a plastic old work box and already I knew it was a code violation. I wonder how long before that connection fatigues and the HO has to pay a real electrician to come out and tell them that all they got for their money was a hole in their door...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.