Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a dryer and the necessary 3-blade cord. My brother plugged the cord in to see if it would fit the outlet but did not attach the other end of the cord to the dryer, since he was just testing it. As a result, the exposed metal clamps/hooks on the other end of the cord touched eachother. So before he even got the prongs into the outlet (he must have stuck it in enough so that he broke the plane of the outlet) the juice traveled thru the cord and sparked out the other end. Stupid, I know. Anyway the cord tunred black in places and melted in small areas. The outlet is dark brown and I can't tell if it is black too but what I am wondering is what are the chances that there was damage done?

Can I just get another cord and tell him to be more careful in hooking it up this time? Or do I need an electrician to check it before I can use it? Thanks!

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
I would recomend that you replace the outlet and the cord. The outlet may be fine but, 5 bucks is a small price for peice of mind. Make sure you turn the breaker off and replace the wires as you find them.

Tell your brother he is lucky to still be here!

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stupid #2

Unregistered said:
I recently bought a dryer and the necessary 3-blade cord. My brother plugged the cord in to see if it would fit the outlet but did not attach the other end of the cord to the dryer, since he was just testing it. As a result, the exposed metal clamps/hooks on the other end of the cord touched eachother. So before he even got the prongs into the outlet (he must have stuck it in enough so that he broke the plane of the outlet) the juice traveled thru the cord and sparked out the other end. Stupid, I know. Anyway the cord tunred black in places and melted in small areas. The outlet is dark brown and I can't tell if it is black too but what I am wondering is what are the chances that there was damage done?

Can I just get another cord and tell him to be more careful in hooking it up this time? Or do I need an electrician to check it before I can use it? Thanks!
Look at me I'm Sandra D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts