Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working with a non grouted, raised tile which I havnt had much experience with. With outlets in the wall, how to you guys suggest dealing with outlet covers, an the different thickness of the tile?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
After you grout it and reinstall cover plates caulk in plate color or matching caulking grout.
I'm not sure, can't see, the degree of relief in that tile.

If the relieve is big, I used carefully trimed receptical insulating pads for a backing before caulking..... to get a nice clean final look.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
If the hight spots are on the stone try and hit them with the grinder and get them down a little closer. Thats what I did on a shower with stacked stone around the mixer
Good point. Only other solution that I could think of is to take some off the mat and add ones that are all the same thickness in that small area to be even for the plate.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Bjackson3 said:
In the past I have found a small corresponding pencil molding and mitered that around the outlets first. Then butt the stone to it.
Nice detail idea, I like it.

The outlets are an eyesore, would be nice to hide them, kinda like three little holes or something and it looks like your literally plugging into the wall.
Away with the pita outlets!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I tiled a backsplash today that had no outlets. The designer called for strip outlets attached to the bottom of the upper cabs. After using them to plug in the Fein tool, radio, grinder etc, I can say that I would rather have traditional outlets in my own kitchen any day. You have to bend upside down to see where to plug anything in.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think that's a good alternative, not sure how often you would plug/unplug something. The wire would be going up , not a pleasant sight either.
A way to conceal outlets about 4" high, this way the appliance would hide it , I haven't been to a KBA convention but they've probably already designed it.

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
Use the unbreakable type of cover plates. With a Dremel, scribe the plate to the tile relief. After your first one you'll be a pro and won't even need to caulk.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Use the unbreakable type of cover plates. With a Dremel, scribe the plate to the tile relief. After your first one you'll be a pro and won't even need to caulk.
That would void the UL listing and could cause a failed inspection from a pickey inspector.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
That would void the UL listing and could cause a failed inspection from a pickey inspector.
Unquestionably, a pickey inspector might correction notice you.... but I did have an inspector object to painted (expensive to match the granite) switches.... and he actually said that that plates were not a UL requirement and ok.

I have no idea if plates are UL or if the inspector is correct...?

(Obviously, we just swapped them out and "ho swapped them back in")

·
Electrical Punk...
571 Posts
Nice detail idea, I like it.

The outlets are an eyesore, would be nice to hide them, kinda like three little holes or something and it looks like your literally plugging into the wall.
Away with the pita outlets!
You guys make me laugh , receptacles have been around 120 years,of course your going to see them..:laughing:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
TV Antennas have been around a while, just threw one out last week from house we moved into. Cable that crap is screwed in and strung all around my house . Wireless - priceless but they try$$$

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
Inner10 said:
Wow, never would have guessed that to be an issue. I would have expected any inspector to actually be impressed with that attention to detail.

I wonder how much research UL has invested into the analysis of damaging the integrity and safety of a cover plate by scribing the edge profile. Heck, I have even seen situations where the receptacle was located so close to an object (cabinet, casing, etc) that an entire 1/2" was sliced off the side.

We all better play it safe and just caulk the damn thing, get the inspection passed, then go back and do what looks better and scribe it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts