Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Masonry Project

Hello everyone, new to the forum. I am building a double sided outdoor wood burning fireplace. My concern is the lack of ability to build in a smoke shelf due to having no rear wall. I am worried about cross-breezes blowing smoke out without it escaping the chimney. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice? I would prefer not to have doors on it for aesthetic purposes

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Definitely posted in the wrong section.

A smoke shelf works not because it's a shelf bouncing back the smoke but because it's a narrowing of the throat which creates a venturri effect and increases velocity. If you want to have a smoke shelf or a narrowing and can't do it in the back...do it in the front

From what i have gathered about outdoor FP's is that they are going to occasionally smoke. There are too many variables outdoors and the pressure at the firebox opening is the same as the pressure at the chimney opening so wind and the heat of the fireplace are what really effect draw. Mak the chimney as tall as possible and as straight as possible. Keep the flue @ 10% of the FP opening same as an indoor FP. A rectangular flue MIGHT draw better than a square one, and a round one better than rectangular....MAYBE

But yeah, you're in the wrong section for sure

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. First time to the forum, wasn't sure where to post it. When you say keep the flue at 10% is that just for 1 side or both combined? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello everyone, new to the forum. I am building a double sided outdoor wood burning fireplace. My concern is the lack of ability to build in a smoke shelf due to having no rear wall. I am worried about cross-breezes blowing smoke out without it escaping the chimney. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice? I would prefer not to have doors on it for aesthetic purposes

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
good question, I haven't done a double sided fireplace before so I'm not sure. The only double sided FP's that I've seen had the same sized flue as if it was single but the one side was covered with glass. Double sided FP's with both sides open will almost always smoke because the wind can blow through rather than getting drawn in. They are a tough nut to get right

PS..if a mod comes around maybe they can move this to the masonry section. Get a lot more responses there that's for sure

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I 've built a lot of outside fireplaces, but I hadn't built a double sided-see through fireplace outside. And I wouldn't want to.

Your concerns are correct, you cant control the weather, I'm afraid it's going be like standing around a smokey fire pit.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've done a handful open on two or more sides, but all inside, so I'm not sure if this will help.

The dampers I use are from Vestal.....they are steel, and the lid operates on a pivot with two chains.......the smoke shelf goes at the top of the damper, and can be off the back, or in your case off to the side......

Being outside, you can probably just use the design Vestal shows, but without the damper....

Obviously windy conditions are gonna be a pain in the ass, but if you mostly plan to use it at night when the wind is down, you should be OK. At least some of the time....:laughing:

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Most people dont build the see through fireplaces correctly, so I highly doubt you will get it to draw being that its outside as well. Run a gas log in it and call it a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts