Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have done pool house cabinets before but they were always well under a roof. This kitchen will be partially out in the open. The grill wall is completely outside the building line.

At first I just refused to be involved. I just dint want the liability of a wood cabinet out in the elements. I pushed hard for the designer to find some stainless cabinetry and take me out of the picture all together. But that plan just kept failing. They really wanted a continuous cabinet line from inside to outside and the stainless idea never took hold. This pool house is just a very small portion to the large house full of cabinetry happening at the same time. I was forced into looking deeper for a viable solution. I think I have it worked out.

I ended up looking deeper into using King Starboard for the box parts.
http://www.kingplastic.com/products/all-products/king-starboard-family/king-starboard-st/

I found enough material locally that was special ordered by a shop that went bankrupt leaving the supplier holding the 10 sheets of Dolphin Grey collecting dust in their where house. That was a good score. Design team was good with using that for the interiors.

After researching the proper tooling for use on the cnc, this stuff was not that much different than wood to machine. The machine time was increased considerably. One sheet had a run time of an hour and ten minutes. This due to the reduced rate of feed and the need for multiple passes. One learning curve about using the proper drill bit set me back a day awaiting the proper plastic cutter bit. The standard brad point bit clogs with the curly shavings to point where it damages the surface of the material. The spear shaped plastic bit ejects the shaving very well. But peppers the spoiled board with deeper holes than normal, no big deal though.

image-1652538845.jpg

image-3903572924.jpg

image-2476126844.jpg

Reactions: marcsmith

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The boxes are made of the StarBoard, and if I see it correctly the face pieces are wood? How have you handled the weathering issue with the designers and customer, for the pieces that are outside?

·
designer + carpenter
556 Posts
Gus - we design and order our outdoor cabs made from the same material (Kingboard or Starboard, one is a heavier variety). I checked into sourcing it from a regional distributor once, you have to buy a pallet full to make it economical. Hardware including drawer guides has to be all stainless. Doors and drawer front usually teak or cypress.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Gus is ready to take on the boating market:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the slides and hinges are stainless. The drawer banks are under roof.

I have to paint the fronts so initially I went with Extera. I have not used that before and did some research about it and everywhere I looked I found favorable opinions about it. We cut all the filler parts, doors and drawer fronts on a Friday. Took a small scrap piece, miked it for thickness and placed it in a bucket of water for the weekend. The water barely soaked in at all and only gained about .005 in thickness. Great right?

But the doors turned into potato chips. Look at this picture of the parts on a cart.

image-3671155506.jpg

While researching my options for the painted parts I talked to my two two plywood salesmen and both thought the Extera would be the best with the imported birch with marine grade glue as a close second. So I ordered a couple sheets of the birch and recut the doors and drawer fronts. The fillers are fine in the Extera. I have not done the same water test on the birch. Maybe in part because I don't want to know the result because I don't have a third option.

The paint job will be back brushed for a fair amount of brush stroke to show. My finisher is still working on the best choice of paint for this. I'll post up what we come up with when it's decided.

How I sold myself on this job is that all of these painted elements can be easily repainted or replaced if necessary. But the boxes are good for ever. I guess time will tell. In the mean time, I'm sleeping ok. I never sleep all that well though :)

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alboston said:
Nice looking cabinets. Around here, a 4x8x3/4 sheet of starboard goes for $350/sheet.
Yes, it's expensive compared to plywood. I don't think it's a fair comparison though. I think you need to look at stainless steel or some other decay proof material. If you have an alternative with similar features, I'm all ears. I couldn't find it and I looked pretty hard.

This time I ran across 10 sheets of 5x7x3/4 in dolphin gray for about $225 a sheet. I only needed eight so there are still two sheets in Sacramento if you are interested :) But in the future if someone wants me to do cabinets completely out in the open, they will either pay for the starboard boxes or find their cabinets else where. I need to feel good about what I put out there or it doesn't go out at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts