Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
More than pushing brooms!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was faced with the task of designing a tradeshow booth. I had no more than a $2,000 budget, and needed something that would be highly portable.

We had positive feedback, and really stood out at the show with our professional appearance. At the top right is a flat screen tv, that I can plug a flash drive into and play video or photos off of. I am going to generate a custom video per tradeshow we do.

*Barrel: What is not show is that the barrel actually has a door on the back, with shelves on the inside. We stored promotional products on the inside of the barrel.
*Final budget: $1,500 est, money saved by doing work in house on design and barrel fab. Outsourced the specialized graphic design work would have averaged around $75 an hour - I spent a solid week working on the design work for everything (flyers, video, standup display, etc). So $75 x 40 hours = $3000 estimated in graphic design labor saved.
*Changes: We are going to add another barrel, this one the color blue to match the Orbital Transport logo. We are going to add 4 locking load baring wheels to the bottom of each barrel.

Any thoughts or feedback? We did generate leads, but it is still too early for us to tell if we will close on any of the leads.

·
Sell by Educating
12 Posts
I think you did a really good job with how it looks. I assume you're asking if you can improve anything so that you can generate leads & sales, correct?

1. Did you build a list with peoples contact details at the trade show? (Name, company, email, phone #)

2. Was your promotional material all about your company? Or what problems you can solve for clients & how they benefit from your service?

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We offered a raffle for two $50 gift cards to Olive Garden. We used this as a means to collect business cards and contact info on discussion makers. The info has already been put into our contact management system.

The promotional material was about both companies strictly. The complication we faced was that not many discussion makers were in attendance, and the people who were there were mostly looking for freebies. As a result, we didn't get much paperwork out.

Front cover of one of our flyers. The back was detail and info rich with contact info.

·
Sell by Educating
12 Posts
Well, if there are aren't many decision makers that go to the trade show, it's a bit of a crap shoot. Probably wouldn't go there again. Trade shows are tough & they can be a real money pit. I would probably call up whoever is organizing the trade shows you're interested in going to and ask them what the demographics are of the type of people that typically go to it. Grill em till you are positive that your target audience attends.

As for your flyer, it's good for people who know that they need what you are selling & are looking for a company to buy from, which will roughly be 3% of people at any given time, and another 6-7% are probably open to it. If they don't have that need, they have no reason to pickup your flyer.

Now, I'm sure that a lot of companies who are in your target audience will have a need for what you sell at some point in the next 12-18 months. Those people are a lot more likely to pick up a promotional piece that informs or teaches them about a larger issue they care about (usually related to how they can save $, make more $, or save time)

Here's another example, no one who ever bought a drill actually wanted a drill. They wanted a hole. So, if you want to sell drills, you should advertise info about making holes, not info about drills. Make sense?

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This years tradeshow was a particular bust, due to the weather. We had a last second snow storm. The trade show was for public works which meant a lot of the crews that work on the streets. The discussion makers were not present, because they were very deeply involved in the last second emergency work. It was a level 3 snow storm here, over a foot in under 24 hours.

The snowstorm killed the attendance of a normally good show. So I'm not too worried about the low turn out this year, but if the weather had been fine and the turn out was so sour I would never return. I always prospect out any show in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi ProSweep!

I do love the clean lines and the simplicity of the design of your tradeshow booth. With such a limited budget, I really think you did a wonderful job!

When/if you are considering reprinting the banner, my one suggestion would be to perhaps move up the logos/text on the banner. Its hard to tell from this picture, but I am assuming that you had several different people working the booth. From the angle of the picture, I can't tell but it looks like the text might be covered if people were to stand in front of the banner. I would then place the TV area a bit lower then it is now so that it really stands out.

I completely agree that adding another barrel in the blue would draw symmetry to the space if indeed you need another promotional table of sort.

Hope you made an impression at the show and the leads that you did collect pan out!

All the best!

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi ProSweep!

I do love the clean lines and the simplicity of the design of your tradeshow booth. With such a limited budget, I really think you did a wonderful job!

When/if you are considering reprinting the banner, my one suggestion would be to perhaps move up the logos/text on the banner. Its hard to tell from this picture, but I am assuming that you had several different people working the booth. From the angle of the picture, I can't tell but it looks like the text might be covered if people were to stand in front of the banner. I would then place the TV area a bit lower then it is now so that it really stands out.

I completely agree that adding another barrel in the blue would draw symmetry to the space if indeed you need another promotional table of sort.

Hope you made an impression at the show and the leads that you did collect pan out!

All the best!
Good points, all of which were touched on during design. The boss really wanted all the extra text on the side of the logos and so things ended up as they were.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts