Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Otterbox. It's saved my Galaxy S4 at least 20 times since I got it in February.

I hate the "holster" that came with it. That thing is the reason the phone needed to be saved about 18 out of those 20 times. It just doesn't hold onto the phone reliably.

Has anyone found one that does, yet allows quick & easy access?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the opposite problem. My otter box for my iPhone is so tight it's difficult to remove the phone sometimes... Maybe you just have a lemon?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't have firsthand experience with a belt holster but I have a LifeProof case for my iPhone and their suction cup car mount, which is incredible easy to use. I imagine the phone would click in and out of their belt holster in a similar way to the car mount.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the opposite problem. My otter box for my iPhone is so tight it's difficult to remove the phone sometimes... Maybe you just have a lemon?
Funny thing is, every once in a while I have the same problem. But it's a total crapshoot whether it's going to hold tight or just let it pop out because I happened to turn around too fast--even though I've learned to give it a good yank after clipping it in, just to check.

I completely understand why the thing isn't reliable. The protective case is flexible and prone to a bit of movement even though it's tough. Put that together with an "open clip" system, and oopsies will happen. I've seen multiple reviews that mention the problem.

What I want is an actual holster like for a gun. A pocket with a closeable flap. I've found some like that, but they all hold the phone horizontally--which won't do for the gymnastics I go through on any given day. I need one that holds it vertically.

·
Master of none.
85 Posts
My otterbox for my note3 is great. The holster, not so much. The case saved my phone numerous times, the holster however snapped one day while removing my phone. So I no longer use it. Other than the holster, the case itself is worth it.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
I have had a few holsters but never got used to using them. I do have the Otterbox case and then I slide the phone into the slim pouch on my tool belt. It has never fallen out of there yet, and I bend/twist about as much as anybody.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Tinstaafl said:
What I want is an actual holster like for a gun. A pocket with a closeable flap. I've found some like that, but they all hold the phone horizontally--which won't do for the gymnastics I go through on any given day. I need one that holds it vertically.
I think Occidental Leather makes such a thing.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That pair on the bottom would be just about perfect, but they're too small for the S4. :sad:

No size info for the others.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The holster for the otterbox does suck.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Tinstaafl said:
That pair on the bottom would be just about perfect, but they're too small for the S4. :sad: No size info for the others.
The first photo is of cases for a construction master, if that helps with sizing at all. Might not be thick enough for a phone.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I've been through 6 holsters in 18 months. The case is great. But after the last one lasted only 1 hour before breaking, I gave up on getting their free replacements.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! Just ordered one.

Looks like I may need to re-engineer the clip a bit, but it has to be better than what I'm using now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
I can't stand my phone in my pocket. By the time I shift my bags and dig my phone out, it has stopped ringing. Also, it makes it impossible to kneel or squat down without binding up.

This one looks perfect, except I need it to fit the S5 which I think is a bit larger. It's similar to the Toughbuilt case I use for my Commandos. I loved that case, even after the velcro wore out. This one has a buckle also to help avoid that.

http://www.amazon.com/Camouflage-S4...cp_1_SYMG?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W5YH9GXXPJEYK624P7R

1 - 20 of 26 Posts