Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer called me to look at a roof leak.... someone screwed the pooch on the design in my opinion. Im the 4th person thats going to attempt this and i feel i have a solid plan but wouldnt mind a few other ideas just incase... i am determined to stop this problem.. the other fixes have been buckets of tar and window flashing tape :blink:

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's leaking all around the chimney, I'm afraid reflashing still may not be enough, the valley still dead ends right into the back corner of chimney, we are looking at adding a ridge where the valley is, creating two more valleys diverting the water to each side of the chimney, more less a cricket on steroids

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Move chimney, install new standing seam roof.
The right solutions aren't cheap.
No amount of flashing, caulk, or tape will fix that ^

Mike
as much as i would like that it will never happen..... and i know the exposed fastener roofs are frowned upon on here but thats the big deal in this area... we have installed a boat load of them withhout any problems with leaking fasteners. but i agree no amount of flashing will fix this im afraid

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Is this visible from the street? If not.....
I'd make a ridge where the existing valley is, & do valleys past each corner of chimney. That will keep the chimney step flashing on a slope so it won't dam, & divert as much water away as possible from chimney.
Joe

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No it is on the back of the home, I asked the homeowner about the design and she said the contractor that built the addition asked if she wanted it all the way to the fireplace she didn't know any better and said "sure why not" lol

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Is this visible from the street? If not.....
I'd make a ridge where the existing valley is, & do valleys past each corner of chimney. That will keep the chimney step flashing on a slope so it won't dam, & divert as much water away as possible from chimney.
Joe
I almost explained it!:whistling

The ridge would run from existing valley, to the chimney corner!
I'd keep the pitch the same as main roof.
Joe

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea we have hurricanes and such so it will get flashing and and reflashed lol I believe in overkill... waiting on a dry stretch in the weather to get it done now...

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's leaking all around the chimney, I'm afraid reflashing still may not be enough, the valley still dead ends right into the back corner of chimney, we are looking at adding a ridge where the valley is, creating two more valleys diverting the water to each side of the chimney, more less a cricket on steroids
Pretty much the first thing i thought of as well, too much water channeling in that area to just rely on flashing solely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.