An elderly lady phoned her telephone company to report that her telephone
failed to ring when her friends called - and that on the few occasions
when it did ring, her pet dog always moaned right before the phone rang.
The telephone repairman proceeded to the scene, curious to see this psychic
dog or senile elderly lady. He climbed a nearby telephone pole, hooked in
his test set, and dialed the subscriber's house. The phone didn't ring right
away, but then the dog moaned loudly and the telephone began to ring.
Climbing down from the pole, the telephone repairman found:
1. The dog was tied to the telephone system's ground wire via a steel chain
2. The wire connection to the ground rod was loose.
3. The dog was receiving 90 volts of signaling current when the phone rang.
4. After a couple of such jolts, the dog would start moaning and then
urinate on him self and the ground.
5. The wet ground would complete the circuit, thus causing the phone to ring.
This demonstrates that some problems CAN be fixed by pissing and moaning!!