Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Osha

6K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  jproffer 
#1 ·
Can anyone throw some suggestions my way about safety with OSHA? I live in central Illinois. in my spare time on the weekends for the last month and a half, I have been helping some people from my church with their houses that were either damaged or destroyed by the tornado that hit Washington.

A lot of volunteers that are in the trades are getting together Monday and were going to start framing a house for a family that was terribly under-insured. The problem is that OSHA has been handing out fines.... even to home owners that have relatives helping them.

When I was in school, I got my OSHA 30 hour card. I know we need harnesses, hard hats, boots, good electrical cords and tools, and proper ladders, scaffolding, etc. Is there anything else I am missing? I would hate for any of us to get fines just for volunteering.

A little background on me.... I mostly do remodeling and foundations/concrete work. I havent done production framing on homes since I was in college so if anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated. I'm currently going thru my old manual now.

#4 ·
I was thinking the exact same thing. The home owner that I know got a fine for himself, his brother-in-law, and a couple of his friends for being on their roof without being tied off. I'm almost positive I remember reading that you couldn't get in trouble on your own house unless you are acting as a business but I can not find it.

#9 ·
I agree about working safely... I'm worried about the other rules that they can enforce if they say that we are acting as a business. i.e. must have a toilet on site, fire extinguishers, a safety plan, etc.

Me and the other two that will be on the roof own are own fall arrest gear so that won't be a problem... I just hate the thought of getting a violation for something as simple as not having ear protection or caution tape out.

I appreciate the replies. The house should go up fairly quickly. Just a ranch that is getting trusses. Its my first time working with trusses so at least I'll learn something new.

#15 ·
"Employee" includes paying the BIL or the buddies a few hundred bucks cash to help out. It doesn't need to be a business. Most OSHA inspectors and most contractors could walk on a site and figure out whether someone was getting paid to be there.

Some states have state OSHA laws that extend rules to some volunteers - volunteer fire departments, for example. But a federal OSHA inspector wouldn't have anything to do with that.

#14 ·
I will update Monday when I am in town. I do personally know one man that got his fine. He posted a picture of it on Facebook. It was $1100. His day job is in logistics at Caterpillar. Shows what happens when you lend a helping hand sometimes :thumbup: :clap:

#16 ·
robcon said:
I know we need harnesses, hard hats, boots, good electrical cords and tools, and proper ladders, scaffolding, etc. Is there anything else I am missing?
You're missing about 100 pages of stuff. Does Illinois have their own state requirements? Call OSHA in your state and ask them, you need the book with all the rules. In Washington we use the WAC, generally speaking, improper fall protection will get you the biggest fines.

#17 ·
Maybe it's ME that's the a**hole here, but if I was on my roof (or a buddy's, or anyone's...as long as I wasn't being paid) and OSHA came and started talking to me, my first words would be "get off this PRIVATE property right now, you are trespassing...none of us are being paid....so goodbye"

If they don't leave, call the police and have them arrested for trespassing.

Gov't 'officials' sometimes get it in their head that they are in charge of everything...and it's simply not true.

#33 ·
Sounds good to me.

Man I would hate to live where OSHA cruises the neighborhood looking for people to write up. Some of you guys have it bad in that respect.

In 10 years I've been checked by OSHA exactly once. Inspector asked me where my employee's were. I told him I was a one man show. He glanced around the site and told me to have a nice day.

MSHA on the other hand. :eek: Apparently you are not suppose to work on the scale house of a local mine unless you have a MSHA certification. :no:

#25 ·
within the last month they have been driving around an area in which i work and nabbed several companies. Apparently they relocated their office from a highway location to an office further off the highway and everyone in between is getting caught.

There was a guy at the lumberyard complaining about it a few days ago. Buying rubber boots, gloves, hardhats, signs, marking tape etc.

#23 ·
Question 1: Do OSHA regulations using the word "employee" also apply to volunteers?

Reply: The applicability of OSHA standards and regulations in specific situations depends on whether the individuals in a workplace are employers or employees within the meaning of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (OSH Act.) OSHA regulations interpreting the coverage provisions of the OSH Act provide that any charitable or non-profit organization which employs one or more employees is covered under the Act and is required to comply with its provisions and with OSHA standards and regulations (see 29 CFR §1975.4(b)(4)). Thus, if your organization has an employment relationship with at least one worker, it qualifies as an employer and would be required to comply with the provisions of the OSH Act and with OSHA standards and regulations that affect the working conditions of its employees.

In general, whether an employment relationship exists is a complex legal determination that must be made on a case-by-case basis by applying certain common law principles to the specific facts. However if, as you describe in your letter, your warehouse staff are volunteers who receive no monetary or other compensation, it is OSHA's view that they are not employees subject to coverage under the federal OSH Act.
https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25097

#24 ·
Well, nothing really excited happened so far this week. We got the walls and all trusses up. Most of the osb is up... hopefully they can get that knocked out by lunch tomorrow. The turn out for volunteers was pretty poor but may have been a good thing. The temperatures were good but we have had a few days where it was just a little too windy.

The only people that have stopped by so far have been a high school student taking pictures for an assignment, a building inspector just being nosey and wanting to chat with us and someone from our local newspaper. The inspector did confirm that osha was in town checking for violations but no one ever approached us. Today was my last day out there. I appreciate the responses from this thread.

#28 ·
Those men actually were fined. Each man's total was $1100. From what I have been told, the fines are a bunch of crap considering they are just helping out. He said they are all going to refuse to pay it. Apparently their advice came from a district attorney one of the men know.

There have been a couple "contractors" that have gotten decent fines out there though. They are the guys that chase storm work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.