Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me whether OSHA requires workers to be tied-off at all times on very large sloped roofs or only when your working within "x" number of feet of the roof edge? Thanks

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
All the time. When you fall you end up whiten "x" number of feet of the roof edge right before you go into a free fall. And you could be very high up the roof and go head first over the rake.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Unless you run safety rails along all edges or scaffolding all the way around, everyone has to tie off. A few people ruined if for everyone

·
Registered
192 Posts
Get good harness gear and its really not a problem. I much rather tie off now then not tie off.
Needing a harness for a ranch is BS. Even a split level or two story 6 pitch. Common sense will keep anyone from falling on most roofs. There have been a few that I was worried about so I tied off on, but other than that I have done at least 2k roofs and never had an issue where I even came close to falling. That includes roofing through the winter on snowy roofs

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
BFD said:
Needing a harness for a ranch is BS. Even a split level or two story 6 pitch. Common sense will keep anyone from falling on most roofs. There have been a few that I was worried about so I tied off on, but other than that I have done at least 2k roofs and never had an issue where I even came close to falling. That includes roofing through the winter on snowy roofs
Well , to heck with that 6' rule then. Must not apply to me. None of that stoopid ladder stuff either.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well , to heck with that 6' rule then. Must not apply to me. None of that stoopid ladder stuff either.
I think if I want to walk around and work on a roof without a harness, I should be able to. I shouldn't be able to force my employees to do it, but I should be able to. I personally think there should be an exemption for single story houses with a 6 pitch or under at a minimum

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
BFD said:
I think if I want to walk around and work on a roof without a harness, I should be able to. I shouldn't be able to force my employees to do it, but I should be able to. I personally think there should be an exemption for single story houses with a 6 pitch or under at a minimum
I would like to see an exemption on a lot of things, but OSHA doesn't seem to see it the same way as long as you have employees.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would like to see an exemption on a lot of things, but OSHA doesn't seem to see it the same way as long as you have employees.
I can see their point because they have no way to know if the employee isn't wearing it because they don't want to or because you told them not to and told them not to tell anyone or you'd fire them.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
BFD said:
I can see their point because they have no way to know if the employee isn't wearing it because they don't want to or because you told them not to and told them not to tell anyone or you'd fire them.
They really don't care which. It's on you and you only, no matter what.

·
Registered
192 Posts
They really don't care which. It's on you and you only, no matter what.
I know thats what they think now and why they would never change it. I was thinking aloud about a best case, what if, scenario where they would offer exemptions on a voluntary basis. I live in MA though, the liberals don't care what you do, as long as its mandatory

1 - 11 of 11 Posts