Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bosch corded oscillating tool, the 2.5 amp one not the newer 3 amp. It quit working; is extremely loud and won't hardly cut, so I took it to the repair shop. Needs a new gearbox, will cost 70 dollars to fix, so I'm thinking of upgrading. Thinking of the new 3 amp, but am not sure about another Bosch since this one gave out so soon...so thought I'd ask y'all here on CT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have been using the same Rockwell for years on everything from control joints to to undercutting casing. Reasonably priced and takes a beating. The only issue I have is that rockwell's newer blade design requires an adapter to fit the original oscillating tool.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Cheap's from harbor freight. For $20, they're disposable. I've worked the dog crap out of the first one I bought from them 3 years ago & it's still going strong. Bought it to see if I'd actually use one enough to justify dropping the coin on a Fein. Never bought a Fein, even though I probably should.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Rockwell corded that's probably 4 years old. Louder than crap, but it works.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Pinwheel has a Valid point. We have both the Bosch and the Fein, the Bosch gets pulled out only when the Fein is already being used. The long cord on the fein is often the tipping point.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have both the Fein and the new Bosch. Hands down the 3 amp Bosch is better. The Made in Germany Fein uses parts in it that are made in China ...go figure. The only real problem with the Bosch is getting aftermarket blades,very limited selection at this point in time.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I have both the Fein and the new Bosch. Hands down the 3 amp Bosch is better. The Made in Germany Fein uses parts in it that are made in China ...go figure. The only real problem with the Bosch is getting aftermarket blades,very limited selection at this point in time.
A lot of blades fit Bosch.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I wouldn't want to use aftermarket blades anyways. The Bosch blades are the best ones.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I decided to go with the Bosch...I really liked the one I had, but ever since they came out with the more powerful one with tool free blade change I've been wishing I had it instead. Hopefully thus one will last longer...

Electronics Bumper Technology Electronic device Tire

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Cheap's from harbor freight. For $20, they're disposable. I've worked the dog crap out of the first one I bought from them 3 years ago & it's still going strong. Bought it to see if I'd actually use one enough to justify dropping the coin on a Fein. Never bought a Fein, even though I probably should.
I have used HF, Rockwell, Rigid, Bosch and Fein. The Fein is by far the best, but Bosch does a pretty darn good job. The biggest difference between the cheaper models is noise and vibration. While they may last a long time, the small increase in price is well worth the fatigue and wear/tear on my body.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I wouldn't want to use aftermarket blades anyways. The Bosch blades are the best ones.
Agreed, but I do by some of the cheaper blades for the guys to use. After someone grabbed a $30 blade meant for hardwood and used it as a scraper blade. I know have a box that others are allowed to use and my box that has all of my awesome Bosch blades. They last forever.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I have used HF, Rockwell, Rigid, Bosch and Fein. The Fein is by far the best, but Bosch does a pretty darn good job. The biggest difference between the cheaper models is noise and vibration. While they may last a long time, the small increase in price is well worth the fatigue and wear/tear on my body.

I mainly use one in short bursts undercutting casings, cleaning up corners, ect. If I was running one for hours on end, I wouldn't hesitate to drop the coin on a fein.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Agreed, but I do by some of the cheaper blades for the guys to use. After someone grabbed a $30 blade meant for hardwood and used it as a scraper blade. I know have a box that others are allowed to use and my box that has all of my awesome Bosch blades. They last forever.
Yeah, I hear you. Nothing beats when someone decides it's a good idea to use an expensive oscillating blade to do a task that can be done with a $8 skill saw blade or $3 sawzall blades that lasts 100x as long.

Oscillating tool rule #1: Just because it can doesn't mean it should :laughing:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts