Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so that no one is misled, I have just concluded a personal 2 yr study of OSB in So. FL. It is a fairly new material and is often used to replace exterior plywood. I chose to test it prior to incorporating it into my projects.
I would like to hear from others familiar with this material, especially any one with long term experience.
I will post or e-mail my results if requested but would like to hear other opinions first.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
The first time I used OSB was around 6-7 years ago - maybe longer (I've been out of residential market for some time). OSB is a viable replacement for plywood. Personally I only like to use it on exterior walls (1/2") - roof sheathing I would rather use 5/8" plywood. OSB is a little cheaper than plywood also. It really depends on what the client wants - some clients (like my current one) don't want a stitch of OSB type products on the jobsite - except for the 1-1/8" silent floor sheathing (which can't really be considered OSB anyway). The funny part about that is that we are using timberstrand studs - which looks just like OSB. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Teetor we've been using OSB out here for years. If in fact we are calling OSB the same thing. Here OSB is known as compressed wood chips pressed into a sheet of wood. It is used a roof sheeting exterior sheeting in new home construction, and just about anything that a contractor needs a sheet of plywood for, and dosn't want to pay the price for ply. It lasts it dose alright. I'd prefer Ply anyday, but the OSB is getting better. Just a hint, if your summers are as bad as ours, don't leave it in the sun for a months. If you do, the nephew won't need to find wood for the skate ramp. If ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Personally we like to use 4 ply CDX. Yes OSB costs less but cost is not always my main concern. OSB is softer under foot when used as a roof sheating. OSB also reacts differently when it gets wet so I prefer not to use it in areas where it may get wet. I prefer to use 5/8" plywood for the roof as well, but usually for various reasons I am stuck with the 1/2" CDX instead. OSB is also slipperier (sp?) when wet which is bad for us roofers. Another thing is I once heard all saw cut edges need to be treated when using OSB. This may be for very old osb and not newer OSB.

As far as exterior wall sheating goes, I've noticed sheet rock being used. Yes the stuff you use in your bathroom.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
OSB is slippier (?) (we should have a word for the day spot on the forum) for a reason. one side is treated with a type of urathane to prevent water penitration. If installed properly (stamp down) OSB will withstand masive water exposure, well more so than CDX or other plys.

However OSB doesn't withstand the pull strength of a single nail head well, and you sacrifice some diagnal strength because of it.

CDX gets wet and tends to de-laminate in small areas pushing finnish products up. OSB swells pretty evenly.

All and all, my opinion, CDX is stronger but OSB does the trick.

One other thing, may just be me, But it seems to me OSB has been around a lot longer than 6-7 years?

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have confirmed my opinion of OSB, it is just oversized, weather resistant, particle board.
As stated, my testing was done in FL where the average humidity is about 80-85% and temps vary from 45-95 deg., more to the higher end. I used it in a variety of small home projects where I might have used CDX, planters (an extreme), tabletops for potting stations, roofing for the potting station, painted and unpainted. I loaded 8' X 8" strips, supported on both ends, with 2.5 gal. water jugs and left some samples just hanging around outside, leaning against the shed. In every instance OSB was inferior.
I have decided against using it at all, I'm not willing to save a few bucks for a job that may prove to be inferior in the future. MY educated opinion.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK Hatchet, OSB discussion is over!
Isn't that one of Mark Miller's restaurants? Drooooollll!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts