Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lumber yard I just ordered joists, LVL beams and sub flooring from doesn't even stock TG plywood for subfloors. This is in Indiana.

My friend working with me is from NY and is very partial to plywood so we were planning on ply. Guys at the yard made it sound like ply was inferior and not even worth stocking. I like that OSB is cheaper and doesn't warp, but otherwise feel like ply is somewhat superior.

Is this a regional thing, politically/market based, or is there something I don't get about the magic of OSB?

I do mostly smaller rehab jobs, and handyman type work, so my experience with new construction trends is limited.

·
Registered
16 Posts
These days plywood delaminates a lot. It is stronger but too many headaches for me so I use osb for floors, walls , & roof.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SfcLee said:
These days plywood delaminates a lot. It is stronger but too many headaches for me so I use osb for floors, walls , & roof.
I would have thought that glue and manufacturing technology would have improved with time rather than decline, but I haven't been around long. If you have to leave it out in the rain, I'd imagine osb would swell up and ruin even more quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have ordered several bunks( a stack about 60) for jobs here & there where the plywood is out of square by 3/4". Georgia Pacific. Osb 3/4" t&g is the stuff to use

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Advantech is far superior than anything I've seen on the market for sub-floor.
Plywood is problematic with delamination with repeated exposure to wetting. In some cases, I've seen delamination right off the stack from the lumberyard.
In this time of farmed lumber, veneers in plywood just aren't as stable as I would like them to be. OSB panels are stiffer and flatter than plywood, IME.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jlsconstruction said:
Where in ny is your buddy from? I haven't seen a sheet of ply on a job site in years
we grew up together in Irvington NY. He's in the union but has been out of work for a while. He worked with his father a lot growing up who was an old timer involved in a big range of trades. I was in Chicago for a while and I guess I saw a fair bit of osb being used as subfloor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2) Thickness:....Read this paragraph completely. These are quoted NOFMA guidelines so you couldn't be more wrong in stating the person who wrote this doesn't have a clue.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jlsconstruction said:
Sorry I quit reading it after it said max thickness for osb and ply is 3/4. Who ever wrote that clearly doesn't hVe a clue
It said minimum, but they didn't mention that 1 1/8" stuff, what is that called? Probably fun to carry...

·
Registered
Remodel
31,084 Posts
I would have thought that glue and manufacturing technology would have improved with time rather than decline, but I haven't been around long. If you have to leave it out in the rain, I'd imagine osb would swell up and ruin even more quickly.
Think again, if it's Advantech. I have some sitting with a cut edge in ground contact for about 3 years now. The plywood is toast.

Last I checked, Advantech had a higher span rating than the equivalent plywood - I can tell you it's definitely heavier than plywood.

I became a believer about 6 years ago, but I still have test pieces around outside. You never can tell when a good product is going to take a turn for the worse.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Azwoodman said:
2) Thickness:....Read this paragraph completely. These are quoted NOFMA guidelines so you couldn't be more wrong in stating the person who wrote this doesn't have a clue.
dielectricunion said:
It said minimum, but they didn't mention that 1 1/8" stuff, what is that called? Probably fun to carry...
My mistake, I'll re read it tonight

·
Carolina Surface Prep
220 Posts
I would never use plywood for a subfloor again. Advantech and other premium OSB flooring is far superior in weather resistance and stiffness. I've never had a problem with Advantech. I've overlaid full house floors with underlayment just to cover up plywood that had de-laminated while rained on in the framing stage.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Dammit! Now I'm starting to think that Advantech might actually be a good product. I'm slow to change sometimes. I've always used ply instead of OSB whenever budget allows. I guess strides have been made in the technology. I remember when the first generation of OSB T&G came out. It was absolute crap. You could sneeze on it and it would swell up. NOFMA said no way for HW installs. When I re-sided my house (with Hardi) I used 1/2 ply to sheath the whole thing, instead of OSB. Cost me more, but I know it ain't falling off anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts