Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your guys thoughts? We pretty much hate OSB. We've found it to have problems with expansion and it is softer underfoot than ply(CDX). But I have talked with many builders that pretty much only use OSB.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Builders use OSB because it is half the price of plywood, not because it is better. The same builders also skip on tar paper when nailing on their "premium" composition shingles, and support the lot with 2x4 joists on 24 inch centers. Since ventilation is also done as cheaply as possible, there is plenty of opportunity for leakage and/or condensation. OSB works only as long as it is dry - get it persistently wet and the manufacturers will tell you that OSB is not the right product for those conditions. So within ten years or so, the roof starts to sag and ripple. People get what they pay for, even if they don't understand that the "great deal" they got on the place was because they are paying for cheap materials and methods.

U

·
0 Posts
Osb Is Good To Use Because You Make More Money Because Its Cheaper And After Your Warranty Is Up Its Not Your Problem What Happens

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unregistered that's such a poor attitude to have. Your warranty might be expired but your reputation endures and if cutting corners is the only way you can make a profit, I am sorry but you are in the wrong business.

Do the job right or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with you P. Also it is possible he might be making more money than me now but when his company goes out of business after he files bankruptcy because he is sued for substandard work, we'll see who's making more money.

Children can be soooo amusing!

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I will be changing the board within a week so that you have to register and login to post. Hopefully that will help things!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nathan said:
I will be changing the board within a week so that you have to register and login to post. Hopefully that will help things!
Nathan, I've no problem with registering or loggin in. I DO have a problem with people who make abusive and unprofessional remarks and hide under the cloak of anonimity. We've had a few on this board, thankfully only a few. Keep up the good work, your board is becoming almost a work of art!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nathan, I am in agreement with P. I think keeping it a registered user only board will increase popularity. I know a few of our memebers posted as unregistered before they actually registred. Your decision. We can ignore the people with too much time on their hands or if their posts move from the end of nonsense to offensive you can remove them.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I'm finishing the Terms of Service and Posting Policy for the site right now. The only way enforce the rules is to require people to log in.

Contracting (whatever the trade) is too dangerous for people to be posting just anything on this board. I think for legal reasons I need to make this change.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Once the OSB is covered it works as well as plywood. We have found no reduction in quality or longevity. The owners enjoy the savings and could mean the difference of getting the job or not. We use it on Govt projects as well.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Once the OSB is covered it works as well as plywood. We have found no reduction in quality or longevity. The owners enjoy the savings and could mean the difference of getting the job or not. We use it on Govt projects as well.
The crap sags.

·
Pro
424 Posts
In my experiences, it is just the opposite. Nobody uses plywood anymore. It separates and sags horribly.

I agree, the OSB they have out now seems to be very stable. I have not had any problems with it swelling or sagging.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts