Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like too say too anyone that uses or has a contractor use osb on floors or roofs too please wake up and consider what a terrible mistake they are making. Don't be fooled or stupid into thinking there is no difference when osb will cost much more than the price difference in the future. I've seen the damage ,and I refuse to use it in roofs and floors.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Given the choice I won't use it. But most of my projects are small and my choice.
There was a fellow here in town who used it as hi finished floor. He sanded and used a floor poly on it. It looked pretty good.
Not sure how it held up.
Also a big bar in Calgary used it for all the cabinets. It looked cool

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I hate OSB. The POS builder used it on my place and the floors deflect like no other.:censored:

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,699 Posts
The quality of most plywood is so bad these days. Osb is pretty consistent. Not great, but consistent. The Advantech holds up incredibly well and should be used on floors that may get rain/snow a few times.

Advantech is all I see used for subfloors in new const around here. I rarely have to address swollen joints before laying hardwood.:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
27,656 Posts
I use OSB on walls only. Not against Advantech though.

5/8 CDX radiant barrier on the roofs, nailed. Clips and nail gap on butt joints. Always dry in what was framed that day if inspection allows, within 24 hours fod sure, never sheath when there is a chance of rain.

1 1/8 tng glued and screwed for second storys. Again, never had an issue. If it is going to rain, cover it.

I used Advantech on one project and liked it, it was speced by the designer. Thinking of switching for my next custom.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I also use OSB on walls, and as long as it is kept dry it is good stuff IMO. I've replaced sheets on houses where water got behind the siding and yes, in that situation it becomes junk!

·
Artist and not a curator
12,931 Posts
Apparently none of you osb fans know anything, even if most of you are highly regarded framers.

You are all now demoted, do not pass go, and you no longer have opinions, decided by original poster with the background of an entire post with evidence supported by "because I said so".

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
A real pro said:
I would like too say too anyone that uses or has a contractor use osb on floors or roofs too please wake up and consider what a terrible mistake they are making. Don't be fooled or stupid into thinking there is no difference when osb will cost much more than the price difference in the future. I've seen the damage ,and I refuse to use it in roofs and floors.
Written like a true plywood salesman.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
go jump in bed with obama care

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey your local to me, strange. Use osb all the time, fail the see the issue? Re did ~30 odd roofs last year in upper stoney creek, all built around 85. All osb, changed less than 5 sheets in 500squares..

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't like using 7/16" OSB on roofs and anything thicker is getting a little on the heavy side as far as safety is concerned... Regardless I think 1/2"+ plywood on roofs is the way to go.

For floors? 3/4" trufloor OSB or similar is awesome... I'd take ply over the standard stuff but ply de-laminates pretty quick when it gets wet too!

Most issues with OSB are due to poor installation.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts