1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Marine ply has them both beat.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
In my opinion OSB is not the step child to plywood, OSB is just the next never ending evolving generation of building products. Like everything that follows something else, there is always a learning curve and blame placed on a product when the blame belongs on carpenters who don't know the product or how to specify it.

OSB and plywood can be equally strong and equally resistant to water. Just as you spec a marine grade plywood for certain applications you can spec OSB grades also. Grades such as exposure 1 and exterior grade will perform differently, you just need to know about them to spec them to the project at hand.

One difference that will influence your selection is the basic knowledge that both plywood and OSB will swell and absorb water (depending on the grade) but plywood tends to return to something like 95% to it's original shape, where as OSB especially the edges will not return and remain swollen to some degree. OSB is actually more resistant to absorbing moisture, but it takes longer to give that moisture back to air.

However, times are changing and already there are manufacturers who are producing OSB that doesn't swell, however I think you will pay more for it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want it to be a turd, by all means use the OSB. If you want it to be not quite as big a turd use what they call plywood today.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it is also application driven. OSB on a roof is bad because it allows the nail to pull back through easier than plywood. For a subfloor in the home Osb will perform as good as plywood for less $.

I see a lot of people talking down the newer building products, personally I like the new products out there. I stopped using 2X* joist because there is a better product called I-joist out there. It lays flat, no crown. you can span huge distances with out stanchons, and they do not squeek ever.

2b2s

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
2b2s said:
I see a lot of people talking down the newer building products, personally I like the new products out there. I stopped using 2X* joist because there is a better product called I-joist out there.
I joists are "out there"? I guess if you mean it like lite beer is "out there" you're right. But I hope you're not saying that engineered lumber products are "newer" as in just introduced a couple of years ago. I- joists were introduced the same year that Woodstock (the original) went down and, around here at least, they're anything but the exception in new home construction. LAM beams are more and more popular and OSB seems to be as prevalent as plywwod. I'm waiting for the day that steel and engineered plastics begin to make real in roads in residential construction. Wood is an ancient technology that easily succumbs to the effects of moisture and the pests that seek it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pipe guy

It was not my intention to make it sound as if I-joist were only a few years old. Quite the contrary, but they are newer than the joist that many builders still swear by today. I started using them about 15 years ago and never looked back.

All I was trying to say is that looking at the spec sheets on these newer materials(and yes pipguy I know OSB is more than a couple of years old too) they perform as good if not better than the conventional product.

2b2s

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I don't trust OSB. I think it's garbage because I have replaced water damaged OSB. I like the way it puffs up real big washes all the glue out and falls apart. Personally I wouldn't use engineered joist with OSB used for the center support especially in 2nd floor baths and laundry rooms were water damage is more likely to occure. But hey all the other kids are doing it. So I can't see it for ...err... from my house. lol

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Most, - - if not all, the new homes around my way in Jersey, - - don't, and won't, - - use OSB on the roofs. The 'quality' homes use plywood all the way around. Personally, - - I've never used a single sheet of OSB for anything in my life, - - and don't ever intend to.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Around here in Wi, its always OSB these days. I've done alot of sub contract framing for quite a few builders and can count on one hand the number of times over the years Ive actually seen plywood sent out for anything. Its all 1/2" or 7/16" OSB. The few times Ive actually had to work with plywood it was all warped and buckled to hell anyhow and just kind of grew to hate working with it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Due to recent events, I am running into a lot of OSB. The material was not meant for hot, humid, enviroments like So. FL. It is just bigger particleboard, maybe a little more water resistant but not much. I'm replacing lots of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
100% Osb

I use 100% OSB for roof sheathing, walls sheathing and floors.

OSB is engineered to meet or exceed all plywood standards and one of the only reasons guys won't use it is RTC: "Resitance To Change".

In the generation that preceeded us, the same arguments were used to dis plywood when 1x12s were standard roof and wall sheathing materials and 3/4 T&G was standard subflooring.

The mantra for many of those old time carpenters was that they would die before using plywood and many of the did.

But plywood replaced 1x12s anyhow if for no other reason, price.

This is why OSB, an engineered wood product, has surpassed and will continue to surpass plywood another engineered wood product. OSB is cheaper and meets or exceeds most all characteristics of plywood.

OSB is better environmentally because it uses wood chips that would normally just get put in a mulch pile or landfills and requires less trees to produce more sheet goods.

Except for situations requiring finished plywood surfaces like oak or birch veneers, it's all OSB for me....although it took me many years to reach that conclusion.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Many years and a few dollar signs, - - :rolleyes: , - - OSB is for chicken coops, - - cheap ones, that is. Let's face it, - - if OSB and plywood were the same price, - - OSB would never leave the shelf. Keep talkin', - - maybe you'll 'convince' yourself.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I'd be more into using OSB if it wasn't so dog-gone heavy. It's got to be double the weight of ply (or maybe I'm just imagining that?).

I do notice that most of the homes I've ruff wired this past year of so are using an OSB type of material on the floors that goes by the trade name 'Advantek'. The stuff is T&G, and won't swell like traditional OSB when it gets rained on. Don't know how the price compares.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OSB Vs Plywood

Tom R said:
Many years and a few dollar signs, - - :rolleyes: , - - OSB is for chicken coops, - - cheap ones, that is. Let's face it, - - if OSB and plywood were the same price, - - OSB would never leave the shelf. Keep talkin', - - maybe you'll 'convince' yourself.
If OSB and plywood were the same price, OSB would still be my choice.
In fact, if OSB were more expensive, OSB would still be my choice.

But no doubt price has its place just as price had its place in not using dimensional 1x12s for roof and wall sheathing or 3/4" tongue and groove for subfloors anymore.

It (OSB) is a much more efficient use of materials and labor (no need for directional alignment across joists, etc..)

Has a better spanning capacity.

Has about the same sheer strength.

Has about the same nail holding ability.

It a smarter use of natural resources.

I've yet to see any technical data that supports plywood over OSB especially given the price.

Sorry, I have done my research and am firmly convinced that OSB is better and won't use anything else unless the customer insists and will pay the difference.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The swelling issue is the main problem i have with osb.Not that plywood doesn't have its own problems,delamination is a common problem with plywood roofs built in 50's and 60'.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Welcome aboard homebild, nice to have another builder on board that use his head for more than just a hat holder.

I just can't understand how some people figured out how to speck plywood for a project but can't understand that you do the same for OSB. Speck the right product and eliminate the problems.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Homebuilder,

If you like OSB, - - so be it, - - if you can convince some customers it's 'about' as good as plywood, - - power to that, - - but you won't convince those of us that already know better, - - it's as simple as this, - - if I wouldn't use a product on my own house, - - I sure won't use it on my customer's. It's a cheaper product for a cheaper build, - - personally, - - I'll stick with quality only. If the customer wants something 'cheap', - - I'll give 'em your number. :cheesygri

Around my way (central Jersey), - - you'll often (on the cheap build's) see OSB on walls, - - but hardly ever on roofs, - - although I did see a row of condos going up the other day that had mainly OSB on the roofs, - - but plywood along the eaves and rakes, - - I'd say that about says it all. ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
The only reason i don't use osb on walls is on smaller jobs its easier to just order one product,since i only only use plywood on roofs and are often ordering 5/8 and 1/2 to match existing roof deck. Haven,t used or seen advantech here but price is probaly close to ply so why switch.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts