Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas.. new to forum.. spent some time viewing site.. looks like it will be fun to be a part of..

i have an office in town, but just made a home office.. any one ever seen or heard of using OSB for finish on office walls.. adding lacquer to it (or some application) to make it glossy..? how did u treat seams? what ceiling type would u suggest?

my office is about 10x10 with one 3x5 window and wood laminate flooring

thanks for the help
tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loneframer.. i like that.. is that the finished look for the walls? no additional treatment on walls?

if i do go with OSB with a lacquer finish.. i was thinking of a chrome look schluter for the seams.. any suggestions for seams?

also, right now the ceiling is drywall with knockdown finish.. what suggestion for the ceiling

thanks fellas

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Loneframer.. i like that.. is that the finished look for the walls? no additional treatment on walls?

if i do go with OSB with a lacquer finish.. i was thinking of a chrome look schluter for the seams.. any suggestions for seams?

also, right now the ceiling is drywall with knockdown finish.. what suggestion for the ceiling

thanks fellas
Actually, that's backing for 5/8 drywall with a level 5 finish.:rolleyes:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
personally, I think using an osb finish is ridiculous....Why:eek:

OTOH.....If you're an Advantech/Zip wall salesman, or your creative design theory is to have your clients subconsciously feel the aura of building while in the design phase....maybe...

I'm reaching here.....If you want to have an attractive office I imagine there are a few things you could do to pull it off. Seams and manufacturing stamps have to have a pleasing pattern, and perfect craftsmanship. I'll admit that when some framers show their work, it is attractive to other tradesmen.

If you're serious about using osb...it could work.... but are you SURE that's the look you want, 'cause otherwise the idea sound nuts to me.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I've seen it before.I can't remember where maybe a skateboard or record shop.It looked pretty cool.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Interesting you bring this up. I do all the millwork and Corian in Rubio's restaurants and the new thing that is going in is a brand wall made out of OSB. It has some kind of clear vinyl type material with a picture on it. The edges are just painted black. I don't finish them, they're delivered already done. I just install them.

Here's the only picture I have. This is the owner of Rubio's that was featured in the Orange County Register.

·
Concepts for Building
6 Posts
Interesting

Its an interesting idea. My only concerns would be:

1. water or moisture, not very resistant
a. I like the look but then I'm a sucker for the rustic look
b. Bugs are an issue as well
2. Solve the water issue by mounting the OSB (called wafer board where I'm
from) on top of a nice s4s 1X cedar or redwood makes a nice look and
would substitute for the base bord.
3. My understanding is that manufacturers are now putting a chemical in the
product to kill termites and other unwanted household pets. I think "borax"
will do the same.
4. For the exposed edges like at room entries and doors I would use the old
fashioned sub-jamb used in lathe and plaster interior finish work. Of course
you would want to dress it.
5 Then apply a nice look door casing

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I did it once for a rec room/bar. I ordered 1/4" and used battens on the seams. The slick side had no printing, and that's how I left it. Looked pretty cool actually

It did seem to off gas for a while...prolly formaldehyde:whistling

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Interesting you bring this up. I do all the millwork and Corian in Rubio's restaurants and the new thing that is going in is a brand wall made out of OSB. It has some kind of clear vinyl type material with a picture on it. The edges are just painted black. I don't finish them, they're delivered already done. I just install them.

Here's the only picture I have. This is the owner of Rubio's that was featured in the Orange County Register.

I lived in San Diego in the mid eighties. There was a taco shop in Mission beach called Rubio's. They made a great fish taco. There was a line around the shack every day at lunch time. I ate there when ever I was in the area.

Seems as though he franchised.:whistling

·
4,617 Posts

That has to be the only two sheets of OSB that I have ever seen that sold for $1200.00..

BTW, if you're using OSB as a finish, how are you going to meet the fire rating?

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
I lived in San Diego in the mid eighties. There was a taco shop in Mission beach called Rubio's. They made a great fish taco. There was a line around the shack every day at lunch time. I ate there when ever I was in the area.

Seems as though he franchised.:whistling
Same Rubio's. They're all over the place now. At least Southern California. We just started with a new design for the restaurants. They will all be remodeled over the next 5 years.

The walls are completely drywalled. The OSB is added over that. I forgot that the edges were covered by some angle metal attached on the back so it covered all the edges.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
if it's just a home office, for yourself then it would be ok to use. find a vinyl or metal T moulding for the butt seams and maybe the vinyl J channel found at box stores for the edges of drywall. should slide right in and be tight. I'd say go for it. as others have stated you might want to drywall behind it for a fire rating.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
....sorry guys, but this had been done for over 20-25 years at certain paintball park I attend...

Back in the late 1980s, the park owner had 40 15x30 sheds installed, then built racks in them, etc etc. Teams have "customized" them over the years...I am honestly waiting for them to burn down...

Some are built better then others......I have to go drink myself in a stuper so I feel confertable enough to sleep in one.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Seen it done on floors and walls & Cabinets.
Some OSB is smother and nicer finish.
Stain/clear coat it.
On floors I have seen it cut into tiles 16X16 I think with wood strips say 3/8" framing every tile, looked really nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow.. i apperciate the respsones.. looks like it will work after reading all responses.. it looks like its not a bad idea after all.. after doing some searches, i found several pics of finished products w/ OSB.. dont like the stained look to much.. think i will stick with lacquering..

shiny with chrome/alum color frames with pics on wall.. add some chrome/alum ceiling spot lites illuminating those features.. some sort of black-vinyl seam inserts.

any other "Unique" options beside stain and lacquering?

thanks again for all the responses

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.