Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when replacing exterior sheathing for prep of a vinyl siding,is OSB ok to use as sheathing? we will be using tyvek of course.
obviously OSB is half the price of plywood so cost is the reason we ask.
thanks

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
when replacing exterior sheathing for prep of a vinyl siding,is OSB ok to use as sheathing? we will be using tyvek of course.
obviously OSB is half the price of plywood so cost is the reason we ask.
thanks
I've done many framing jobs with OSB sheathing that were sided with vinyl. The most important thing IMO is to space the sheathing on all sides. I always give 1/8". I gap my CDX plywood as well. Your siding should be stud nailed regardless of what type of sheathing you use.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Odds are it's o.k to use, but some engineers will require plywood instead of OSB. Especially on a remodel, if you have an engineer on the job you need to ask him, half the time he will want plywood. New homes are sometimes speced out with struc I plywood instead of OSB, and require .141" x 2 1/4" diameter nails. If you had a shear wall designed that way and you ripped off the plywood then replaced with OSB, you would have a problem.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Excerpt from Builder Online:

To be sure, there is no difference between OSB and plywood as a structural panel, says APA - The Engineered Wood Association. The Tacoma, Wash.-based group is a nonprofit trade association that represents U.S. and Canadian manufacturers of plywood and OSB as well as other structural engineered wood products.
“Both products meet the local and national building codes,” says APA market research director Craig Adair. They are equally interchangeable for walls and roof sheathing, and for flooring underlayment, he adds. Moreover, both panels install fast and easily. Specified correctly, they perform as intended. Manufacturers from both sides claim their products offer better nail holding ability, but Adair says both meet the same requirements.

·
Banned
556 Posts
OSB is fine for sheathig. be sure to use a proper house wrap. when we replace damaged plywood or T&G,we replace with OSB all the time. why? because it is durable and its half the price of plywood.

·
Registered
477 Posts
In addition to proper house wrap tape your seems. What good is a barrier with open edges everywhere. Never was really a fan of that stuff.

I'm a personal fan of felt but i suppose thats another thread.

·
WOOD TICK
33 Posts
structurally just as good as cdx. just lay sheats on side. gap at least 1/16". We used to stand up osb and butt it tight. if and when it swelled at all it would make the wall wavey. especially on garage walls >9' with 2x4 construction. makes it look like you didn't crown your studs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
osb always works for us.i hate when i have to do a house sheathed w/ celotex.those terds stink.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We used to stand up osb and butt it tight. if and when it swelled at all it would make the wall wavey. especially on garage walls >9' with 2x4 construction. makes it look like you didn't crown your studs.
If you run the sheathing horizontally, you have to block the gaps on it. I don't agree with it, but it's code.

Same with standing up 8 ft sheets on a 9 ft. wall.

Personally I feel that sheathing, especially OSB and plywood should be put on horizontally and spaced with no blocking. This way it's allowed to breathe.

·
WOOD TICK
33 Posts
Blocking is not required in Fargo or Moorhead. Dont know what the reason would be for it. Warping between studs? havent seen it with osb that has been kept out of the elements. plywood more prone to warping and delaminating than osb.

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
on a small porch I'm building w/ scissor trusses (16"oc), the truss spec sheet states 1/2" plywood to be used as sheathing. I have not seen that requirement stated on truss jobs before...no OSB allowed!

·
Super Moderator
24,667 Posts
What is OSB?
Oriented Strand Board.
Op: If you are R/R plywood I would use plywood as it may have been intended as a shear wall. I have not seen OSB spec'd or accepted as shear out here. Seen more than one truss job & stick frame spec'd with plywood.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I started doing siding for a couple new contractors at about the same time.
Two weeks after I finished the jobs, one was wavy, even though I straitened it up as it was installed.
The other job didn't change. Stayed flat against the wall and no waves or bows.
The difference was the wavy siding was on wall where plywood had been stood on end. It had actually bowed some studs with it's movement.
The straight walls were plywood nailed horizontally. Doing it that way kept the studs straight with no bows. I've seen OSB do the same thing when nailed on it's end. There just isn't enough strength crossways over the boards. The strength is in the lengths.
I never could get the contractor who stood his sheeting's on end to change so I quit messing with him. Eventually I quit working for all contractors. Too much hassle.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,773 Posts
Blocking is not required in Fargo or Moorhead. Dont know what the reason would be for it. Warping between studs? havent seen it with osb that has been kept out of the elements. plywood more prone to warping and delaminating than osb.
The blocking at all ends and sides helps transfer the lateral loads better. For shear paneling it's required to block all ends and sides..............

1 - 20 of 23 Posts