Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering ... Does any contractors (all trades, but particularly painters) order their supplies from catalogs or online catalogs as opposed to going to Home Depot, Lowe's etc ...

Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread, couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Keia
The BossMaker Team

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I do order from catalogs and online vendors, but only by part number. I never order material that I'm not famaliar with, and I never order by material description only. I will only order by the exact manufacturer's part number, so that I'm sure about what I'm getting (or supposed to get).

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
99.9% of the time I buy local. Reasons? I like to keep the money in local circulation. I can see what I'm buying and be certain that it's right. Locals work harder to back up their products. And the big one, by the time you get done with all of the shipping&handling, you don't really save that much money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
buying online

I buy a fair amount from online catalogs. Large selections, convenience factor, and lower prices are a few reasons why. some sites are even offering free shipping.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I only order supplies localy,sometimes even shop at the big box,still is local.Have ordered tools from toolcrib/amazon but still buy most tools localy too.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I never mail order anything unless I know exactly what I am ordering. My mother is a mail order junky and too often things aren't as nice in reality as they seem in a picture. Typically when I need to go buy a new piece of equipment, that equipment is mission critical and I need it yesterday.

I bought my dig. camera on Ebay, I bought my tablet pc (laptop) online, I bought my color laser printer on ebay. I'd not hesitate to buy a power tool from a well known company (Dewalt Makita etc...) online.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Local, Home Depot, supply houses, Russia, Cuba, Online...

Whoever has it I will order it from them. My first choice is local for all the obvious reasons after that it often is dictated by availability. I have ordered a lot of brass railings for bars from Van ***** and I have ordered lots of stainless steel screws from McFeelys, simply because these items were not available locally. I also have to order the Penofin products I want online because they are not available locally.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, check out Marine Fasteners http://www.marfas.com/ for your SS needs. Best prices and good quality. I've been buying from them for 20 yrs.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Personally, - - I like the convenience of ordering on-line, - - I usually go through Amazon, Tool Crib, Northern Tools, McMaster Carr, etc. - - sure, you've got to pay shipping charges, - - but then again you save gas money and you can order stuff at midnight, - - and it's on your front porch in a few days or usually a week at most, - - going back and forth returning tools that have already been returned before I bought them at the Big Box stores gets old real fast with me. Haven't had any problems or had to return anything yet (knock on Ipe), :cheesygri - - meantime have spent a several thousands to be sure, - - most expensive item I can think of was a Bosch electric jackhammer (about $1300, - - admittedly, that one I had to go pick up at the trucking warehouse, - - a little too heavy for the driver, I guess).

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, I buy deck screws at the box stores, haven't had the time to research them. Marine Fasteners WILL have your wood screws, you may have to call them. You aren't looking for slot heads are you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts