Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're installing 48" long granite treads and risers on an exterior stairway. The riser sits behind the nosing of the tread above.

Install all risers first, then treads? or start at the bottom - riser, tread, riser, tread, etc.

Start at the bottom makes some sense to me - only manufactured edges visible, and it makes sense for water-shedding purposes (riser sites on tread). The water-shedding question may be a red herring - the stairs are well water-proofed underneath, and if these were not full-width I wouldn't be sweating the grout lines at all. And it doesn't make much sense to work one's way up standing on the treads that were just installed.

Any convention or good sense about this?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
247 Posts
The height of the risers hopefully allows for setting them in, however if it's veneer and there's no stone stretcher, than the other order only. Could always make cuts.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Always start at the bottom, At least how its done with granite/stone/marble.
And we work our way up the stairs.
the risers sit on top the treads for us, at least thats how we make them.
I cannot see how someone would start at the top?

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Most common tread stock is 12" so that dictates the treads get set after the shell of the steps are done. From the top down.

If you want to pay for 18"-24" tread stock then you can do whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Whenever possible, we'll set the treads first, as I think the joint under the riser is far more water-resistent in this manner. Granted, we have relatively harsh winters here though.......

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Most common tread stock is 12" so that dictates the treads get set after the shell of the steps are done. From the top down.

If you want to pay for 18"-24" tread stock then you can do whatever floats your boat.
2" x 12" stock is common, but codes allows 10" depth on the treads so one can, if he pleases, use the order riser, tread, riser, tread with common tread stock if he decides to bury the tread.

Right Reds?...;)

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Huh, i've never seen anything but the risers sitting on the treads. Often only by as little as 1/2" but they sit on the tread. Bottom up is the only way I would do it. I try to minimize vertical joints when I can, less water penetration even if the structure is water tight

A little more info is good though.

Steps are existing or at least will be in place before the stone or are the steps made of stone. I'm guessing that the steps are concrete and the granite is 3/4" for the risers and 1.5" for the treads? applied with adhesive? Or are we talking about granite blocks with 2" treads on top, landscape style?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Start from the top and lay the treads, the risers should sit on top of the tread, I lay the treads the first day and other work, boarders around porch or landing, always work top to bottom this way you aren't stepping on fresh laid stone, once set, in go the risers then point up.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the answers. Except that the thread has been informative, I'm now embarrassed I asked the question - the treads and risers are 3/4 inch veneer - the nosing is laminated as for a countertop bullnose, and the only way to install is treads butted against risers. Everyone in the neighborhood's been stopping by to ask about getting their stairs done - maybe I'll put my new knowledge to use on the folliwups.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
2" x 12" stock is common, but codes allows 10" depth on the treads so one can, if he pleases, use the order riser, tread, riser, tread with common tread stock if he decides to bury the tread.

Right Reds?...;)
That sounds reasonable.

doesnt it look a little funky from the side?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Really, you think that would look weird? You'd need to show me a pic cause maybe i don't get what you're talking about but I wouldn't think that a riser sitting in a tread would look weird at all unless it wasn't fully sitting on it

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
finished mounting this a few days ago
I'm used to seeing them done as so
Stairs Wall Cement Reinforced concrete Concrete

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Really, you think that would look weird? You'd need to show me a pic cause maybe i don't get what you're talking about but I wouldn't think that a riser sitting in a tread would look weird at all unless it wasn't fully sitting on it
Im used to seeing steps like this, bluestone just plopped down after the shell is up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts