Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to replace my dewalt nicad set... The batteries are too weak and too heavy.

So what do you guys think? Is the dewalt going to hold up? I've been looking at the brushless impact/ hammer drill combo.

How are they on weight? Are there better drills out there for the price? I found a set for under $300 brand new...

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
I give up on DeWalt cordless several years ago. Got tired of all the issues with the nicad batteries. This was before they came out with the 20v line. So at the time DeWalt was out of the running for me.

Tried a Milwaukee for a short bit and then went to Bosch. I've never looked back. I've got 2 drills, impact driver, 1/2" impact wrench, and the recip saw.

The Milwaukee wasn't a bad drill I just picked up a Bosch off the display at Lowes one day and decided I liked it better. At the time (may still be, don't know) the Bosch 18v lithium drill was the smallest most compact on the market.

To be honest I have been wanting to give the new DeWalt's a try but I don't want to leave Bosch. And having both means extra chargers and more batteries.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I love, love, love my 20v Dewalt stuff. I have a bunch of 18v but hardly ever use it anymore. I have been using the 2ah batteries on the brushless impacts because they are so light, I have 10 or 12 4ah batteries and I am converting to 20v over the next few months, i really only need the recip and jigsaw yet, have everything else already.

I used the oscilating saw the other day putting in windows, used it all day with 4ah battery and it never died, i was shocked. I had both Bosch and still have Milwaukee 12v oscilators and the dewalt will run circles around them. Granted their batteries are smaller but what a difference. I still use the 15g and 16g 18v nailers as there are no trim nailers in 20v yet.

If you like Dewalt, these are the bomb, I have not looked back and have had a few friends even convert to the new 20v dewalt. You won't regret it:thumbsup:

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Spencer, I sold some of it on Craigslist...I had been so good to me for so many years, I couldn't just let it sit on a shelf forever after getting the 20v. Got pretty good money for them too

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
I have been lusting over the 20v for quite some time. Problem is I just can't make my 18v stuff die. Still going strong after over 8 years. (A lot of that time was very light use but still...)
I have a lot of the 18v stuff also. The newer lion batteries have also proved reliable. My cordless tools do exactly what I need them to do without costing me any more money.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well... My mind it made up, I'm diving in in these!

Robinson raised a good point on chargers, I forgot my new radios charge the 20v line as well as the old nicad line. Totally makes it easier to swallow!

Thanks for the advice guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts