Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contractor, working on my own a home in an area far from where I
live.
Switching from baseboard to heat pump....Hvac guy wants to install a Coleman 4ton. (13 or 14 seer, not sure)

My question is, is this a decent unit? My hometown guy does American standard and swears by it. Is it like the chevy ford dodge thing?

He also said that Goodman and Coleman are the same, I can have either.

I have many more questions if any hvac guy wants to play along.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Nothing wrong with Coleman. it comes out of the same factory that make York and Luxaire.

Doesn't matter how good your hometown guy thinks Trane is. if you don't have any good trane dealers at your new location. You end up cursing the Trane.

·
HVAC Professional
56 Posts
kambrooks said:
Not worth starting a new thread... What about the quality of "Carrier" heat pumps? As I'm to have one installed soon.
it ALL depends on the quality of the installation and the attention to details by the installer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Coleman - Good or Bad?

it ALL depends on the quality of the installation and the attention to details by the installer
Not a truer statement. You can bet it is a bad machine on a bad install. I took out a 23 year old coleman unit last year. We installed another brand, but the coleman had served it's purpose. Make sure your guy has done some great installs.

With the way things are made today, I wouldn't trust any of the machines to last 23 years.

Go for a 10 year parts and labor warranty and ride it out! Get it looked at every year and change your filters at least every month!

Good Luck with your new unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Carrier Heat Pump

Not worth starting a new thread... What about the quality of "Carrier" heat pumps? As I'm to have one installed soon.
Just make sure the install is correct. Duct, return air, power, proper airflow and correct settings of the out door thermostats and proper sizing of the auxiliary strips.

Around here, Carrier parts are much higher than others. Lennox, York and even Trane parts are more reasonable.

You get the name with Carrier..watch out for the Bryant/Day and Night/Payne shuffle. If you buy Carrier, get Carrier.

Get a 10 year Parts and Labor warranty. Have Fun!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Just make sure the install is correct. Duct, return air, power, proper airflow and correct settings of the out door thermostats and proper sizing of the auxiliary strips.

Around here, Carrier parts are much higher than others. Lennox, York and even Trane parts are more reasonable.

You get the name with Carrier..watch out for the Bryant/Day and Night/Payne shuffle. If you buy Carrier, get Carrier.

Get a 10 year Parts and Labor warranty. Have Fun!
Thats weird, here, they cost about the same as everybody else.

What's the difference between Carrier, Day/Night, and Payne? The parts are all the same, the cabinets look the same, and the warranties are equal. The only difference I can think of is that Carrier has dealership rights, and wont sell to the smaller outfits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats weird, here, they cost about the same as everybody else.

What's the difference between Carrier, Day/Night, and Payne? The parts are all the same, the cabinets look the same, and the warranties are equal. The only difference I can think of is that Carrier has dealership rights, and wont sell to the smaller outfits.

Come on, we know you can get an inducer motor for a Carrier for 366.00 and one for a Lennox for 144.00.. Goodman cheaper.

Carrier does charge more.

what's the difference... Communicating machines, lots of extra goodies, like hi and lo pressure switches, variable speed fans and multi speed condenser fans...

Maybe it is just Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama! :jester:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Coleman...

Ok Flash... You Win! :clap:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Actually, here, it's Lennox and Trane that seem to have the pricey parts. Had to pay something like $150 for a condensate trap. I don't recall scratching my head with Carrier parts (on the basic stuff).

... "communicating machines".... ;)
LOL, yeah. There doesn't seem to be any cheap parts on a communicating furnace.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
My hucklebuck self thought Tex was referring to a control board. The fancy stuff comes with some high dollars parts, brand A,B, orC. With most folks, I advise the basic 80 percent gear, and if they want to save a few bucks, go duel fuel. But, sometimes they want high efficiency, and there is no reason to tell them differently, unless they ask.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dual Fuel...

With most folks, I advise the basic 80 percent gear, and if they want to save a few bucks, go duel fuel. .
:no:

Dual fuel uses a heat pump with auxiliary heat from a furnace.

I don't know about the north and northwest, but dual fuel in Texas is a joke. With LP or natural gas...

Natural gas is so cheap. Even with an 80% furnace, it is way cheaper than running a heat pump on a 50 degree day.

Love heat pumps, if they are installed correctly. Here in Texas, they have a 10-12 year life span.:sad:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
How much is electricity per kh/hr down there? We pay eight cents during the winter and ten cents during the summer. Nat. gas is ninety seven cents a therm. Here it works out well because we have a lot of heat pump days. I would think that down there it would be the way to go as well. But, the cost electricity and gas are the big determinants.

Not a fan of condensing furnaces, perhaps they are great for those with the big fancy homes, or, a few other settings. They require more maintenance, and seem to "age"quicker than the standard 80%.

I really appreciate the old dinasores (spelling), I appreciate the lack of inducer fan, and those heat exchangers, man, almost never find a crack in them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts