Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently operating in multiple industries with a single business name. My company, (my partner and I) plus several sub-contractors we use very often, are doing mostly general contracting work. I'm pushing the business in the direction of full time roofing/siding, my partner is more interested in staying with general contract and landscape work.

He feels that having a lot of different jobs keeps him "entertained", whereas I say that specializing in one or two markets will bring in more money. Should we, as partners, register two different business names that focus on our target markets or simply find a broader name that incorporates everything?

My partner and myself have very open communication and I trust him, we also have a very similar end game. We just don't agree on how to get there.

What do you folks suggest? A broad base name that incorporates everything (general contracting plus) or two specific names per industry? Or, a broad based name with several DBA names attached?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Instead of starting a second company you can register a DBA (doing business as) and ADD another name to your company.

Advertise the one you have now to do the services you do now. Advertise the other specific to roofing/siding.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Like Grumpy said.
I am Teetor & Teetor, Inc. Broad and non-descript umbrella Co. includes my contracting business. Also dba Advanced Marine Systems, dba Perfect Balance yacht stabilizers, dba Warehouse Window Fashions and dba Teco Products.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
...He feels that having a lot of different jobs keeps him "entertained", whereas I say that specializing in one or two markets will bring in more money...
Either way will work. It's about CUSTOMERS. With good customers, it's easy to make money.
Best regards,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice, thanks for the help.

FYI, We have great customers, very loyal, and very easy to work with. They actually call us, and advertise for us, by our first and last names - rather than our business name. Although this is very personal, it would be nice to have people recognize our company and its name - and then say, I know the owners . . .

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Good for you. It's sounds like you take good care of your customers. That makes life enjoyable, and ensures that you will be a success even if your business model is less than perfect. You can always adjust it as necessary anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. Sounds to me like you've already got it made. :Thumbs:
Best regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts