Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I did this little bar setup for a client. When I did the countertop it was scribed nice and tight. Now, years later, things moved, things shrank and there is a not so nice 1/4" gap between the wall and the countertop. She wants a backsplash. But she wants it small and not obtrusive.

Originally I was going to use Kerfkore but a few trials in the shop and I found that it wasn't feasible. The glue holding the core on wasn't strong enough when I cut it to 1 1/2". I needed to glue to lengths together and the joint always pulled from the substrate at that joint.

So I needed to come up with a way to do a laminate glue up. I came up with an idea, and it seemed to work well. Of course it took longer than I thought.

1st step was to make a cardboard template of the countertop/wall junction. Earlier I had asked her to take some measurements for me so I could bring the correct size materials.

I had a 32 x 96 pc of cardboard that I planned on using for the template. I walk in and first thing I notice was the sink and faucet. Oopsie, forgot about that. No bigee, that'll just make it harder :sad:, I mean...more challenging.;)

So in about 45 minutes I had the template fitted, including the sink cutout. Had to creep up on it because it was trapped and then when I got as far as I could I made the cutout in the front and added it to the back, scribed that and taped it on.

Then I transferred that to a pc of 5/8" MDF that I brought from the shop. The cardboard and the MDF were the same size so I had to do the same cutout on the MDF that I did on the cardboard and add it to the other side to continue the curve.

I traced and cut the MDF, put the hole for the sink. I put the cardboard back on the counter (for protection) and then put the MDF on top of that.

I had precut 4 strips out of some Curly Maple. 1/8" x 1 1/2" x 130". I took each of these and slid them into place, put a pencil mark on it and cut it 1/16" longer. Slid it in place, then did the next one and so on until the 4 were done.

Now here's where the MDF comes into play. I had cut some styrofoam into 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 19" blocks. It was 19" so that why it was that length. I placed those in front of the strips and then I had one last strip (scrap cherry) that I put in front of the styrofoam. Then I screwed blocks into the MDF that were 1 7/8" away from the wood strip-styrofoam build up. I made blocks that were 1 7/8" x 2"

I rolled glue onto the maple strips, I put a pc of 2" tape on the backside (against the wall) so I wouldn't have some stray glue adhere everything to the wall. I slipped everything back into the jig and put the blocks in and then some shims to tighten it up.

That's as far as I got. I left it there for an overnight dry. I was planning on 2 hours but since it was after 4, I didn't want to interfere with their Friday night plans.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Undid the clamp system today. Took a little bit of prying to get it released, but not bad. Trim was taped on the rear and the jig was waxed, so no problems.

Brought it back to the shop and jointed the bottom and then ran it through the saw. Then through the saw once more on the top to clean it up and size it. Put it on some saw horses and ran a router along the top with a round over bit. Next will be sanding, stain and finish.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Leo G said:
Undid the clamp system today. Took a little bit of prying to get it released, but not bad. Trim was taped on the rear and the jig was waxed, so no problems. Brought it back to the shop and jointed the bottom and then ran it through the saw. Then through the saw once more on the top to clean it up and size it. Put it on some saw horses and ran a router along the top with a round over bit. Next will be sanding, stain and finish.
Looks good. Thanks for posting neat stuff like this. It's always good to learn.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took a bit of thinking for me to come up with the system. Seems really simple now that it's just thrown in front of you. But coming up with solutions to interesting problems is part of the job.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both of them know now. She watched me do most of it. I went in there with a rectangular pc of cardboard and MDF and then made the clamping jig. From there put the rest together.

When I went by there today to pick things up he said he was looking at everything, amazed at what I did to get this done.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In hindsight, would it have been easier to remove the sink?

Also, what kind of glue did you use? A polyurethane glue, regular tite bond or a waterproof? Does it matter?
No, leaving the sink in was easier.

Titebond II. Would have like to use epoxy but that's just to messy for a finished area.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put the finish on the backsplash

Curly maple really lights up. Which is why I couldn't use some fake plastic stainable flexible trim

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Thanks for the styrofoam idea ... I'm stealing it :laughing:

I'd thank you ... but your a moderator and stingy with those yourself.

Like the process. May even approach brilliant, nahhh.

All farting around aside great work and glad you shared!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the styrofoam idea ... I'm stealing it :laughing:

I'd thank you ... but your a moderator and stingy with those yourself.

Like the process. May even approach brilliant, nahhh.

All farting around aside great work and glad you shared!
Ya kinda blew it there.....:whistling

Everytime you use the process I want a check for 32¢ :laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First time I used the trick was when I needed to apply a maple veneer to the inside of a piano.

Made a shelf cabinet out of it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I love those exotic wood: curly, birds eye, etc.

I don't know much about them, don't work with them, but when I see something like what you made here, etc., it's just amazing how beautiful the wood looks.

Occasionally, i'll see some real beautiful, cool pieces made from exotic scraps: paper weight, an abstract design, cutting board, pens, really nice.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only problem is getting someone to pay what they are worth. They expect a cutting board to be $15-$30.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All done. It fit, imagine that.

Initial fitting. Had to do a bit of scribing to get it to lay flat in the corner.
there was a small rise there

Put some silicone on the back and some clamps to hold it down.
Client will remove them tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts