Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have experience with taking classes online? How did you qualify the curriculum to see if it would be worth the money?

I have a Bachelor's in English from Goucher College but I never took any courses related to our industry or business in general. I know I can read books for free but I was just curious about this route too.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I've taking several business classes on line. As long as you discipline yourself, I think they're great. But you can't keep saying I have all week to do this or read that. The week is over before you know it and now you have to cram.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i took two continuing education courses on line a couple years ago for my contractors license renewal. They were a joke. classes for people who don't want to take classes.

·
Kowboy
2,453 Posts
My community college offered online classes that I enjoyed very much. Everyone had to post their assignments. It was fun and a good learning experience.

I just took a 3 hour online continuing education class to renew my Michigan builder's license. Not too tough and I learned a few things also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are lots of free online courses these days. You just have to find one that you like. Check out Kahn Academy. Their motto "Free, World Class Education for everyone".

MIT has an open course education site where you can take any class free. But...you don't get college credit for it.

Most colleges accept people in their classrooms who are auditing a corse. Many have a lower fee ($100) for community people to take their courses...but you don't get credits.

Also, don't discount YouTube. you can learn almost anything you want to know about construction here.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marven said:
Yes. A mentor would be great. Maybe your friendly accountant.
My accountant isn't very friendly and my mentor doesn't use an accountant. I heard a great TED talk on Kahn, I believe. I forgot all about it until you mentioned it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hdavis said:
IMO, most business courses don't teach you how to run your own business.
That's exactly what I'm worried about.

I'm already enrolled in the School of Hard Knocks and majoring in running my own business.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marven said:
There are lots of free online courses these days. You just have to find one that you like. Check out Kahn Academy. Their motto "Free, World Class Education for everyone". Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJgPHM5NYI&feature=kp MIT has an open course education site where you can take any class free. But...you don't get college credit for it. Most colleges accept people in their classrooms who are auditing a corse. Many have a lower fee ($100) for community people to take their courses...but you don't get credits. Also, don't discount YouTube. you can learn almost anything you want to know about construction here.
You rocked my world, Marven! I checked out Khan and MIT's website and now I'm all jazzed up for some free book learnin'.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
You rocked my world, Marven! I checked out Khan and MIT's website and now I'm all jazzed up for some free book learnin'.
I really think you should enroll in some courses, at least one. Education is never a waste of money.

If you really want to learn, you need to apply yourself. All too often people think of an education as you pay money you should automatically learn what they are teaching you. It doesn't work that way. You can lead a horse to water... In order to learn anything, you need to be accepting of what is being taught to you and apply yourself to actually learn and comprehend the material. Any learning program is only work the effort that YOU put into it.

Take a chance and see for yourself. The fact is, you have nothing to lose. Nothing.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
jb4211 said:
I really think you should enroll in some courses, at least one. Education is never a waste of money. If you really want to learn, you need to apply yourself. All too often people think of an education as you pay money you should automatically learn what they are teaching you. It doesn't work that way. You can lead a horse to water... In order to learn anything, you need to be accepting of what is being taught to you and apply yourself to actually learn and comprehend the material. Any learning program is only work the effort that YOU put into it. Take a chance and see for yourself. The fact is, you have nothing to lose. Nothing.
Are you advising enrolling an in-person program? I'd happily enroll in a paid-for in-person program of courses if I consistently had time to attend. Last winter would have been perfect for that, I already know I have too many jobs going on this winter, though.

Education is absolutely never a waste of money. I have no problem paying for education, but since I'm pursuing it for myself, and not at the request of an employer or governing body, I just want to make sure the material is suitably challenging.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Many colleges and universities with business schools have community outreach programs on starting a small business. They help on writing business programs, finance, bookkeeping, resumes, etc. Ones I have seen have one-on-one help and were located in the downtown area. Don't forget, this website has an incredible amount of information available on just about any construction related subject. Try a search, first. There is someone here who can answer any question, if you don't find what you need.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,031 Posts
If you're looking for a mentor and valuable free advice, start here:

http://www.score.org/mentors

As for some of the free on-line education, MIT's courses are excellent. The rest can be spotty, depending on who teaches the subject.

Without knowing your personal/business objectives, it's tough to go much further.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,031 Posts
Education is absolutely never a waste of money.
I'm always surprised to hear something like this. I know lots of people that wasted money on an education, if for no other reason than it gave them a false sense of mastery in doing something like running a small business. I know one that had a business degree and went bankrupt. She made a classic error, but as she told me when I talked to her about it (when she was trying to find a way to stay solvent) "they didn't teach me that in business school".

Not only did her education not help her be successful, it likely kept her from asking competent advice earlier. I'd say it cost her plenty.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
My $.02 - Education is never a waste of money, except (IMO) something like 'Liberal Arts' (WTF is that anyway? :blink:). The world is a-changing and many, many schools are offering online courses now. Many are free, although you usually don't get credits for those. Kahn is a great free one. I've taken a few, just for my own knowledge. The key is to set aside the time to do them in a nice, quiet, comfortable surrounding with no distractions. I built myself a comfy office in the basement that is perfect for things like that, but I would also suggest locking yourself in a room to minimize interruptions.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Are you advising enrolling an in-person program? I'd happily enroll in a paid-for in-person program of courses if I consistently had time to attend. Last winter would have been perfect for that, I already know I have too many jobs going on this winter, though.

Education is absolutely never a waste of money. I have no problem paying for education, but since I'm pursuing it for myself, and not at the request of an employer or governing body, I just want to make sure the material is suitably challenging.
No. I was suggesting you try on-line. The class are possibly slightly more difficult than in person but not a big issue.

Try it.
Accounting is always useful
English to improve writing skills
Public speaking to improve communication
Business law courses
Some psychology courses to better understand people

Before you know, you have what is needed for a degree. Even if it's only for personal achievement.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My $.02 - Education is never a waste of money, except (IMO) something like 'Liberal Arts' (WTF is that anyway? :blink:). The world is a-changing and many, many schools are offering online courses now. Many are free, although you usually don't get credits for those. Kahn is a great free one. I've taken a few, just for my own knowledge. The key is to set aside the time to do them in a nice, quiet, comfortable surrounding with no distractions. I built myself a comfy office in the basement that is perfect for things like that, but I would also suggest locking yourself in a room to minimize interruptions.
When it comes to earning a degree in pretty much any field, one is required to take some liberal arts courses.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
When it comes to earning a degree in pretty much any field, one is required to take some liberal arts courses.
I realize that, I was referring to getting a degree in Lib Arts. What is that? A Liberal Artist? Next job after college - "You want fries with that?" :laughing: I had to take some classes and didn't really see the connection to what I was trying to accomplish, but 'Ya Gotta Do What The U Tells You'. Plus, I was trying to be funny, but I know looks aren't everything :jester:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts