Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a young contractor I find it difficult starting a business in this market. I'm lost when it comes to pay roll, workmens comp, quickbooks etc. Getting paper work, tools and insurance is the easy part. Would anyone recommend getting a degree in business? In my opinion, spending thousands of dollars on a degree would be helpful, but overkill. Learning as I go and reading books from the local library seems to have the same impact as a business degree. What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Erickson Walters

·
Registered
917 Posts
I can tell you from experience that a business degree may be un-neccessary. I have a bachelors in Business Administration from Western Michigan.

The problem is that a business degree is usually based on learning about larger corporations, HR theories, stuff like that. You will learn a lot that will help with your business. But I'd suggest some small business classes at a local comm. college, something along those lines.

A degree is a good thing to have if your not planning on contracting your whole life. So its ultimately based on what your future plans are

·
Banned
28 Posts
As a young contractor I find it difficult starting a business in this market. I'm lost when it comes to pay roll, workmens comp, quickbooks etc. Getting paper work, tools and insurance is the easy part. Would anyone recommend getting a degree in business? In my opinion, spending thousands of dollars on a degree would be helpful, but overkill. Learning as I go and reading books from the local library seems to have the same impact as a business degree. What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Erickson Walters
Payroll, Quickbooks, etc are things you can learn by sitting down and studying them. In construction, a college degree is no more useful than a high school diploma. That being said, there is something to be said for a serious education, if for no other reason than to indulge yourself intellectually.

Construction is a really bad gig if you have other options, there's a lot of smart guys here who if they were 18 again, would not get into construction, but would instead get engineering or science degrees and seek employment more commensurate with their abilities.

My IQ, FICO score and Blood Alcohol Level all add up to 98, so that's why I'm in construction.

Think of construction as an honorable, valid career while you're pursuing your education, then transition from construction to something with less splinters and tree sap...

·
Registered
90 Posts

Thanks,
Erickson Walters
getting a degree to answer these questions is akin to smashing a bug with a sledge hammer - powerful tool but far more info than you need. save that money and put it into your kids education if you're running you're own show. some technical and community colleges offer applicable night classes which you will find of more utility to specific questions. quicken may offer classes as well, and in that environment you can possibly get to the answers just by asking. or you could ask specific questions here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts