Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like lately there have been more and more people popping into discussions that have only 1 or 2 post under their belt. They eaither jump in and ask a question (HO) or jump right in and tell us about this amazing service or product they just discovered (spammer).
Is this really happening more often these days or am I just now catching on to something that has been happening pretty steadily for a long time ?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
They do seem to show up in waves
don't they? :laughing:

Maybe lunar cycles, or sun spots?

·
Super Moderator
10,660 Posts
Mathematically speaking, it should be happening less often. Not sure though, one would have to figure the ratio of births vs the ratio of new members on CT. Malco is usually good for computing these figures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been going to discussion boards for years now and I own a couple. What I find is that sometimes a handful of regulars will try to intimidate new-comers to the board, to let them know who's boss around here.

I've even seen where board regulars will only talk to each other and will ignore new-comers, unless of course the new-comer pays the proper respect to the "old guys". Discussion boards cannot grow with just the regulars. If you do not have new people coming to your board it will dry up and die. Kind of like the contracting business. If you rely too much on your previous customers for work instead of trying to harvest new customers your business will die.

I've even seen where two or three guys will attempt to hijack a discussion board. They start out rather decent but as their popularity grows they slowly become self-promoted moderators. They begin saying that this person or that one should be kicked off or this post/thread or that one should be closed or removed. This isn't for them to say but they try to take on that authority none the less.

I participate in an Air Force forum and I noticed that some of this was going on, so I made a post about Trolls vs. Bullies and it must have been an eye opener, because these guys all of a sudden started getting weeded out. That particular board was slow to start moderating and these guys came in under the radar and started chasing members away. This was a paid site so it affected the site owner's pocket book in a very direct way.

This site relies on advertisers and Google ads to make money, but you still need people participating to attract these advertisers and to have folks to click on the ads.

I'm not suggesting that any of these things are going on at this site, but... it still pays to keep one eye open.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I've been going to discussion boards for years now and I own a couple. What I find is that sometimes a handful of regulars will try to intimidate new-comers to the board, to let them know who's boss around here.

I've even seen where board regulars will only talk to each other and will ignore new-comers, unless of course the new-comer pays the proper respect to the "old guys". Discussion boards cannot grow with just the regulars. If you do not have new people coming to your board it will dry up and die. Kind of like the contracting business. If you rely too much on your previous customers for work instead of trying to harvest new customers your business will die.

I've even seen where two or three guys will attempt to hijack a discussion board. They start out rather decent but as their popularity grows they slowly become self-promoted moderators. They begin saying that this person or that one should be kicked off or this post/thread or that one should be closed or removed. This isn't for them to say but they try to take on that authority none the less.

I participate in an Air Force forum and I noticed that some of this was going on, so I made a post about Trolls vs. Bullies and it must have been an eye opener, because these guys all of a sudden started getting weeded out. That particular board was slow to start moderating and these guys came in under the radar and started chasing members away. This was a paid site so it affected the site owner's pocket book in a very direct way.

This site relies on advertisers and Google ads to make money, but you still need people participating to attract these advertisers and to have folks to click on the ads.

I'm not suggesting that any of these things are going on at this site, but... it still pays to keep one eye open.
Well said. :thumbsup: I see the sharks trolling around here and at times i find them humorous but if you want to see sharks devour a newbie carcus over a foolish question or remark then go to pirate4x4.com. Those guys over there are ruthless:w00t:.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts

Better warn Nathan about
that "dwindling membership" thing. :laughing:

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum Statistics
Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum Statistics
Threads: 59,383, Posts: 717,411, Members: 48,584
Welcome to our newest member, Tom Clark

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
... but anyhow, how much to remodel a nice bathroom?

How much does it weigh? If the customer can tell me how much it weighs I can give him a price over the phone cause we do all our bathroom remodels by the pound, just like buying grapes at the supermarket. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
917 Posts
Just regular... I wanna know 'cause i have a friend who is handy, but out of work who will do it
I'll bet you have a bunch of friends out of work (if you have a bunch of friends :laughing:), last I looked the unemployment rate there was around 16% and growing. Glad I left Bend, I liked it but damn, pumping gas jobs were getting scarce.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are getting single posts frm "newbies" . . .

If you are getting single posts from "newbies" . . . It's usually because they do not like the response received from their post, so they move on. Somebody posting what they believe to be a serious question, treated as though the question is stupid is turned-off real quick.

The "Regulars" or "Old-Timers" in any really successful forum usually take the opportunity to get to know the "Newbie" and make him welcome on the site so that he hangs around long enough to participate with others. Some sites use employees to interact with "Newbies" to guide the newbie around and make them feel welcome.

I visit some sites actually seeking someone to help me work out a construction issue that I just do not know the answer. (Not all of us were born with a hammer in our hand) Other sites I visit just to vent my frustrations over something stupid done that I probably was responsible for. Regardless, I seek a response which doesn't make me feel the idiot I am, before anybody else on the site actually interacts with me long enough to know the idiot that I am.

Of course, sometimes I just interact to hear myself speak . . . :whistling

Rich Brunelle
[email protected]
dir4construction.com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts