Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's got to be a way to start out getting small side jobs, and still only be a one man crew. Do any of you have any experience in this area, or are multi-man crews the norm?

If you do have any suggestions for enabling a one man crew (helpful equipment suggestions, process suggestions, etc.), I would love to know what they are.

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Find your self some home improvement contractors that do small additions, basements, ect. We do basements and additions rangeing from 40 sheets to 130 sheets, a one man crew should be able to handle that in a 5 day week.

Sorry missed the "side job" you will be hard pressed to find side work do to the scheduling, unless the contractor can wait till the weekend but that is time lost which translate to money lost. You still may be able find contractors that will hang their own and get you to finish it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you're hangin board by yourself I guess you'd have to have a panel lift and a deadman already. Personally I'd be looking for a helper, even just a laborer to help lift sheets and hold them up until you get them tacked up, especially on lids.

I guess we went into the slopbox & pf bead on that other thread.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Had a fella working for me about 7 years ago, saw him the other day as a matter of fact, Tony's his name, Tony used to hoist and hang 5/8 drywall by himself and love every minute of it. Crazy maggot. He went into the Navy, go figure.

Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used to work with one name of Chris that was like that, he didn't make the military, but I hear he's boxing champ in the state pen :eek:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Temporarily screw in a 6' 1X3 as a 'cleat' along the top of your wall (about 5/8" down from the ceiling for 1/2" drywall). Slide the long edge of your sheet into the gap as you maneuver yourself up your stepladder and push the whole sheet up into place (the cleat is holding half the weight) with one hand and start running screws with the other (screws can be started on the sheet first if necessary).Complete that whole row by moving cleat along wall as necessary.
To start your second row, - - simply 'rabbett' out 1/8" deep X 1 1/4" wide out of your same 1X3, - - and now screw the thicker edge of it through the long tapered edge of the first row, - - leaving the rabbetted edge exposed so you can slide the first sheet of your second row into it, - - now it is again holding half the weight for you as you install it. When you remove your 1X3 the empty holes it leaves behind are in the tapered area that you'll soon be spackling anyway, - - been doin' it myself for years, - - mostly 8' and 10' sheets, - - I have several cleats pre-made of several different lengths.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cleats - what a great idea...

Tom R said:
I have several cleats pre-made of several different lengths.
Great idea Tom. Thank you. That saves having to invest in a lift with limited resourcezs available. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
4 Posts
What Woudl You Do On A Brick House Fro Hanging Sofit And J- Channel When The Rafertails Are All Uneven And Some Are Rotted? How Would I Fill In Open Spaces Above Window Sills After Sofi Ad Channel Are Hung?

·
Registered
11 Posts
GREAT idea.

Tom R said:
Temporarily screw in a 6' 1X3 as a 'cleat' along the top of your wall (about 5/8" down from the ceiling for 1/2" drywall). Slide the long edge of your sheet into the gap as you maneuver yourself up your stepladder and push the whole sheet up into place (the cleat is holding half the weight) with one hand and start running screws with the other (screws can be started on the sheet first if necessary).Complete that whole row by moving cleat along wall as necessary.
To start your second row, - - simply 'rabbett' out 1/8" deep X 1 1/4" wide out of your same 1X3, - - and now screw the thicker edge of it through the long tapered edge of the first row, - - leaving the rabbetted edge exposed so you can slide the first sheet of your second row into it, - - now it is again holding half the weight for you as you install it. When you remove your 1X3 the empty holes it leaves behind are in the tapered area that you'll soon be spackling anyway, - - been doin' it myself for years, - - mostly 8' and 10' sheets, - - I have several cleats pre-made of several different lengths.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
imahanger said:
get a panell lift!!! for a one man crew it is invaluable.
Yes, - - a panel lift is one great tool, - - aside from price, weight, transport, and set-up.

Panel Lift, - - hundreds of dollars

1 X 3, - - hundreds of cents

Personally, I'd still use the 1 X 3 even if you 'gave' me a panel-lift.

Oh, yeah, - - and one time I even left my 1 X 3 at the job-site overnight, - - amazingly enough in the morning it was still there. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
price is a downfall of the pannel lift but you can work harder or you can work smarter most of the jobs i hang are custom homes i work on a 3 man crew with 2 panel lifts and the third just to screw off i still rest the sheets on a couple of nails when i dont want to get the lift for a 8 '. but gone are the days that i muscle 12' and 14'-8" on the lid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back to the real question how to get the jobs. Right now is a good time to go to all the residential drywall contractors and put your name in. Tax time is when people finish their basements with tax returns and most of the time it will be out of 8'. But HANGER BEWARE basements can be some of the uglist to hang with owner/builders, thank you bob villa.

drywallers hang to the floor................imahanger

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, - - a panel lift is one great tool, - - aside from price, weight, transport, and set-up.

Panel Lift, - - hundreds of dollars

1 X 3, - - hundreds of cents

Personally, I'd still use the 1 X 3 even if you 'gave' me a panel-lift.

Oh, yeah, - - and one time I even left my 1 X 3 at the job-site overnight, - - amazingly enough in the morning it was still there. ;)
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
A few years back I had a guy hang a 1520 sf house (1/2") plus garage (5/8") , plus front and rear porches,with 9' ceilings, by himself, in one weekend. He used a cleat at the wall and a rockers aluminum "horse". He didn't miss a screw.

·
Plumber / Carpenter
1,652 Posts
what about one of those sheet rock lifters that you crank? I remember my first few. Used a 2x4 "T" that was the same height as the ceiling and screwed a hinge to its bottom. Then Id calculate where it had to be and secure the "T" to the floor by the hinge. set the rock on it, give a push till it snugged to the ceiling, and presto! maybe not the safest nor smartest way, but when you start out necessity is the mother of invention!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts