Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Still own it. One of my original emails got forwarded to a local company. They reached out earlier this week, and sent a guy out Tuesday to test it. Smaller container is a solution referred to as Sparkle wash, which is a power wash solution that contains a small amount of acid. Bigger container is a medium strength hydrofluoric acid, and he said he would get me a price to remove it. Crickets since then.

My Chem engineer buddy asked me to text him pics of the labels last week. No word back from him yet either.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Still own it. One of my original emails got forwarded to a local company. They reached out earlier this week, and sent a guy out Tuesday to test it. Smaller container is a solution referred to as Sparkle wash, which is a power wash solution that contains a small amount of acid. Bigger container is a medium strength hydrofluoric acid, and he said he would get me a price to remove it. Crickets since then.

My Chem engineer buddy asked me to text him pics of the labels last week. No word back from him yet either.
Proper disposal is to spray it on the house lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
So, after several email/phone exchanges with the local company, they stopped responding. Last they left it, they couldn't deal with it in a residential setting.

A friend of mine, who used to work for the health department, suggested I call the Ohio EPA. Today I called them, and it is more of the same. They were quick to call me back, but offered the same suggestions that I have heard before. Sounds like I will be reaching out to some in the metal industry, as well as the local Universities, and see if someone may be able to use this.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,119 Posts
Sounds like your title is the way to get rid of this.

Bring it back to the original owner.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
32,817 Posts
So, after several email/phone exchanges with the local company, they stopped responding. Last they left it, they couldn't deal with it in a residential setting.
Pretty disheartening.
I dunno...don't ask me...not my problem...

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,328 Posts
A super villain origin story plot device like a barrel of acid is hard to come by. Maybe hang onto it, you might want to use it later.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,638 Posts
I wonder if there was ever a time in history that it was so difficult on so many fronts to just "do the right thing".

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Crazy that you are being responsible and getting such little help. I would still try your County EMA Director, being local they may be of some guidance, if not to whom does one make a fuss? media?
Good luck man, crazy situation.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,638 Posts
I wonder if a local TV newsdweeb would take an interest in the story?

OTOH, that could backfire and focus an EPA (or whatever) microscope on you. They'd probably make you build a 10,000 year earthquake and nuke-proof facility to store it.

·
Super Moderator
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I was a bit hesitant about calling the EPA. In the back of my mind, I think they may try to follow up with me later to see how I settled this.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,119 Posts
They won't have any interest in this until you do exactly that. After that the wrath of the EPA will come down on you so hard you won't know what hit you.

This is their plan. Just wait you out and then fine you to death.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
A few years ago someone went around delivering a whole bunch of old tube TVs to peoples front porches. Totally legal, I’ll see if I can find the article.

·
Artist and not a curator
15,291 Posts
Just dump the ****, brother. At this point it's on the government, not you. You've done the responsible and good thing, if they aren't going to help (which they won't) then **** them. Don't make rules you can't provide a solution for.

You kinda have a duty at this point to thumb your nose at them. Complete horse ****. Even though this is kinda tongue in cheek, I'd never fault you for anything you decide to do at this point. Start researching the best way to get rid of it and just take it on yourself to accidentally spill it.

·
Artist and not a curator
15,291 Posts
Can you give them a formal public review or anything? If so you could get this to get legs. These assholes make rules and then have no plan for anyone to adhere to them, the public should see that.

Some formal review should get eyes on it.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,328 Posts
Can you give them a formal public review or anything? If so you could get this to get legs. These assholes make rules and then have no plan for anyone to adhere to them, the public should see that.

Some formal review should get eyes on it.
It’s time someone stood up for the acid barrel owners! Be the chemical change you want to see!

·
Artist and not a curator
15,291 Posts
It’s time someone stood up for the acid barrel owners! Be the chemical change you want to see!
Just say in the name of climate chaos or something and you're being a green warrior or call it an art project. Pour it out on grass where it spells out "EPA sucks goat balls". Fly a drone, take a picture and sell it as an NFT.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts