81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
1,828 Posts
made a killing
making a killing
"Making a Killing - Confessions of a Scrupulous Residential Housing Developer"

"I didn't know people still had five children. The story is really absurd but it is 'based on a true story'."
Mick Micks, The Economist

"Cerebral. Shocking. I got chills when he bear hugged the acid barrel."
-Tom Toms, The New Yorker

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
Not many places are going to take that and use it unless you can verify it is what you think it is, it's age and its purity.
I am not sure what it is used for but imagine putting that in say a power washer or other machine and it screws up the machine and whatever you were doing.
"Where did you get it ? Some guy who had it in the garage"

·
Super Moderator
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Not many places are going to take that and use it unless you can verify it is what you think it is, it's age and its purity.
I am not sure what it is used for but imagine putting that in say a power washer or other machine and it screws up the machine and whatever you were doing.
"Where did you get it ? Some guy who had it in the garage"
I agree. Not to mention passing on the liability. I am still baffled that no one in authority has acted on this. They all will acknowledge the seriousness, just not offer any solutions other than passing the ball to the next entity, etc.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,409 Posts
The police, the politicians and the attorneys wouldn't be passing the ball if something bad happened to someone because of it.
Everyone would be right on top of their game.

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
I agree. Not to mention passing on the liability. I am still baffled that no one in authority has acted on this. They all will acknowledge the seriousness, just not offer any solutions other than passing the ball to the next entity, etc.
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help"= you are on your own

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,409 Posts
Just a morning ramble....

If one was so inclined, one could make a big deal out of this.
Anonymously write a few of the local papers explaining your dilemma and how you have reached out to all the agencies you thought could and would help...only to find bureaucrats passing the buck.
Explain how dangerous this stuff is and that it seems like all these groups ramming the environment down our throats are just all talk and no action.
That you want to do the right thing but the people charged with such things don't/won't help.
End it with your dilemma....either leave it be and hope a couple of unsuspecting children don't get into it or....take it to your local stream or river and dump it there.

My gut tells me there would be some action taken.

Again...just some trouble-making rambling....:cool:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,695 Posts
If you go to the home site it has specific step by step instructions for specific chemicals
Yes, but it doesn't tell you how much to use and how much 50lbs will neutralize. I'm sure it depends on it molar strength so it might be difficult to determine.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,695 Posts
Just a morning ramble....

If one was so inclined, one could make a big deal out of this.
Anonymously write a few of the local papers explaining your dilemma and how you have reached out to all the agencies you thought could and would help...only to find bureaucrats passing the buck.
Explain how dangerous this stuff is and that it seems like all these groups ramming the environment down our throats are just all talk and no action.
That you want to do the right thing but the people charged with such things don't/won't help.
End it with your dilemma....either leave it be and hope a couple of unsuspecting children don't get into it or....take it to your local stream or river and dump it there.

My gut tells me there would be some action taken.

Again...just some trouble-making rambling....:cool:
They'll probably arrest him.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,311 Posts
Actually, power washing would be the easiest one to use it, the technical requirements are lax compared to other uses. 25 gallons should be enough for thousands of gallons of wash solution.

·
Contractor
4,781 Posts
as the previous owner is 80 and you can't legally transport more than a gallon, that's an interesting problem. do you have a local tv station that does stories on 'interesting' topics? There's a story here, what does a new homeowner do with hazardous items left over by the previous owner (tenant) and if the new owner attempts to properly dispose of...or not.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,311 Posts
Yes, but it doesn't tell you how much to use and how much 50lbs will neutralize. I'm sure it depends on it molar strength so it might be difficult to determine.
That's all made for spill clean up, so it has a built in phenothalein type indicator. Once you get it all sopped up, it still has to go for hazardous waste disposal, but you just paid a lot of money to make more pounds of hazardous waste.

No information on how much you'd have to order. As you noted.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,311 Posts
Transport is typically by someone with a CDL with HAZMAT endorsement and placarding. I'm guessing it would be placed in a big tub for spill containment.

I'm not sure what the regs would be for a private citizen not using a commercial truck.

No way would I be bear hugging this. Plastic containers degrade over time. It can take a long time, even out in the sun.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts