Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,523 Posts
My step mom is a chemist and has always used the mantra, "the solution to pollution is dilution!"

Ergo, wait until it rains hard, then kick that sucker over in the driveway.

·
Registered
Demo
949 Posts
I offer a hybrid of various suggestions.

Step one is to quickly build a crate with a wide skid bottom that will only just fit the acid container. (So it won’t tip over and you can lift it with a forklift).

Then you would source enough sealable high density polyethylene containers to accomodate the entire batch, diluted. Dilution level should be extreme so you can dispose of it gradually by some means such as dumping it in your driveway.

Then sell your house.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I've seen a person get splashed in a bigger area than that, but they showered right away and went to the hospital. It still ate quite a bit of skin away .

He was wearing goggles, or it would have blinded him.
That’s just nightmare fuel.

·
Registered
256 Posts
See what they say in the dyi chat room.

Surely you get some ideas ...
...but say " I'm asking for a friend, who may or may not have 35 gallons of acid"

But seriously
An environmental clean up company, maybe an industrial supply company?

They may point you in the right direction??

If this stuff, in large quantities, is closely regulated with logs. That just makes really difficult for any legitimate company to take possession of.
And if whom ever takes it and has an accident, that can come back to bite you if they're not legit.

Same goes if something happens in your possession.

Hind site, should have left it there and it could have been tagged to the previous owner.
Probably would have blown your sale until it's resolved...but that's where you are ....maybe speak with an attorney? They can't get rid of it. But maybe they can help guide you through the regs...

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I would not have taken it and it's pretty ignorant for the previous owner to leave it but if I don't have any legal options.....

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
You need to call DEP, all previous owners are liable for hazardous waste. It can’t be moved without and hazardous waste enclosure Incase the barrel leaks. A friend went through this on a property he bought, contact your realtor and your lawyer. May get expensive.
Real estate contract should have hazardous waste clause in it

·
Registered
Demo
949 Posts
I think that OP is stuck with it unless he wants to spend a bunch of money chasing the chain of custody of a barrel of acid.

Gonna have to get creative.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
Out in the backyard and a pinhole forms. Who knows how it happened. But mysteriously the acid is gone now.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
I'm still stuck on the "I bear hugged it and lifted it into my truck and now it is on a teetering Keter table and might fall over at any time." line.

That's crazy town stuff right there.

I paraphrased a bit, but that's where I'm stuck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Most disclosure forms include hazardous waste statements
Previous owners have to disclose or pay for removal, if buyers lawyer missed this on attorney review it’s on him
What ever it costs to get him to pay you have to sue to get it back

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I'm still stuck on the "I bear hugged it and lifted it into my truck and now it is on a teetering Keter table and might fall over at any time." line.

That's crazy town stuff right there.

I paraphrased a bit, but that's where I'm stuck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
That Keter is fine, no teetering. I just wanted it at waist height for my next and final lift. Former owner is in his 80's and probably didn't remember it being there. With all the junk in the basement, I wasn't sure what it was until way later. My chemical engineer friend says he is still on it. He talked with some of the higher ups at county recycle, and they weren't able to help. I will give him a little time before I start calling up folks who can use it. I agree about the liability of handing it off to someone else. Trying everything in my power to handle this properly.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts