Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
Looked into neutralizing it, but you guys are correct that only small amounts at a time. A chemical engineer friend in working to find a solution also, and has told me this stuff is really bad, so not sure I wanna be pouring, mixing, etc. I think Joe Ordinary Citizen would make one phone call and then abandon it somewhere. I am no tree hugger, but wanna do the right thing. Shouldn't be this hard.

Robies link is in Texas. One place I called was gonna let me drop it off, but heir closest location was 250 miles from me (Ohio).
This is the stuff you use to etch glass.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I can't believe you moved it once!

If no solution is available, built a big box around it, fasten that box to the concrete floor, and sell the house as is. Not your problem any more.
Didn't know quite as much when I moved it, ignorance is bliss I guess. I did wrap it with a moving blanket, and was wearing long sleeves. No regrets, as I would be beside myself if one of those kids got exposed. It is hard to pick up, as the container has a handle on top, but trying to lift it that way puts pressure on it and it wants to gurgle out. I just bear hugged it and lifted it into my truck. Probably about 200 pounds. Didn't want to lift it from the floor again, so now it is sitting on my Keter table so I can grab it one more time and shift it into my van.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Son in law is a firefighter, he was no help. Customer of mine is a chemical engineer. He got involved a couple days ago, and is currently looking for a solution through his contacts. It just blows my mind that I have worked so many avenues, and am not even close to a solution.
I bet you a dozen donuts that if you had called the fire department when you first discovered it the city would’ve taken possession of it and it would be their problem. (Cause lawyers, they would’ve taken it because of the liability if they didn’t.)

it blows my mind that you stumbled across 35 gallons that someone abandoned!!! Maybe you’ll have the same luck when buying lottery tickets lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bet you a dozen donuts that if you had called the fire department when you first discovered it the city would’ve taken possession of it and it would be their problem. (Cause lawyers, they would’ve taken it because of the liability if they didn’t.)

it blows my mind that you stumbled across 35 gallons that someone abandoned!!! Maybe you’ll have the same luck when buying lottery tickets lol.
This house was full of stuff. The guy worked as a mortician, owned a print shop, and his wife did catering at some point. Found a bunch of embalming fluids, print type set, glassware, co2 cannisters, and tons of other misc furniture etc.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
If my reading is correct, the epa regulates HF acid. Apparently, transporting more than 1liter is against federal law. And you’re also now subject to federal reporting requirements as mandated by a law that targets superfund clean up sites.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My first call was to my county recycle program. You can bring stuff in once a week for about half of the year. They said with HF, they could only take 5 gallons and it had to be in the original container. I explained my situation, and they gave me three phone referrals. One was out of state, one was commercial only, and the other has failed to follow up, even when I pressed "1" for hazardous chemical spill.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Awesome. And I have been bummed about trying to get rid of the 50 gallon drum of old mixed oil and gas that has sat in my driveway for 7 years.

I'm honestly curious at how this works out.

Our dump will take up to 35 gallons of unknown substances with an appointment

Not sure if they would take that though. Battery acid freaks me out.

That stuff is the stuff of my nighmares.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Awesome. And I have been bummed about trying to get rid of the 50 gallon drum of old mixed oil and gas that has sat in my driveway for 7 years.
Auto parts store won't take it?

Around here I think they are required to take used oil

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,535 Posts
Find someone who has a waste oil burner to heat their area. They will gladly take it from you.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Not sure if it is pure oil or not. It is now a mix of rainwater and whatever it was.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
This reminds me of a local incident.
Unlicensed house mover decided to move a house.
House contains asbestos.
Cant remember if he broke down or git pulled over.
He parked house on closest available space, that happened to be property of uninvolved individual.
House mover splits. Disappears.
Property owner complains
State says not our problem, but you can't have it moved until you remove all ACMs
County, same story.
So there it sits, on the side of the road. But on private property.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Oh, I'd call Walter White about your acid problem.
That guy was a genius.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 118 Posts