Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
You need to call DEP, all previous owners are liable for hazardous waste. It can’t be moved without and hazardous waste enclosure Incase the barrel leaks. A friend went through this on a property he bought, contact your realtor and your lawyer. May get expensive.
Real estate contract should have hazardous waste clause in it

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Most disclosure forms include hazardous waste statements
Previous owners have to disclose or pay for removal, if buyers lawyer missed this on attorney review it’s on him
What ever it costs to get him to pay you have to sue to get it back

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Not many places are going to take that and use it unless you can verify it is what you think it is, it's age and its purity.
I am not sure what it is used for but imagine putting that in say a power washer or other machine and it screws up the machine and whatever you were doing.
"Where did you get it ? Some guy who had it in the garage"

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
I agree. Not to mention passing on the liability. I am still baffled that no one in authority has acted on this. They all will acknowledge the seriousness, just not offer any solutions other than passing the ball to the next entity, etc.
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help"= you are on your own

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Talked to friend today, call Clean Harbors, they are one of the largest industrial chemical waste removers in the country. They can help. Not free though. Enviromental Waste removal.

The drum gets lifted and put in another container on a pallet and taken away

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Robie

I did call Clean Harbors. Kept forwarding me from one person to another. Eventually ending in email contact that quickly stopped responding. Initially, I had to go through their voice menu, only to get cut off at the end. I finally called, and pressed "1" indicating an emergency spill. That operator just took my number and email, then barely any follow up.
wow
He has used them before at his facility and all went well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts